$700 rifle

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm thinking of doing a fundraising raffle and am wondering what guns to put on it. I was thinking of putting a $700 rifle and a $700 shotgun on it.

What guns in this price range would a guy want to win and convince a guy to purchase a ticket? What caliber/ gauge would a guy want to win?

Me personally would like to win a uncommon caliber such as 6.5 creedmore or a 20 gauge auto shotgun but I realize that others may not have the same tastes as me.

Thanks for your help!

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it were me, I'd include an AR in 223, I think that would have mass appeal now days. For the 2nd one, I'm not sure . . . a quality pistol would be nice.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
i think the 6.5 creedmore, 6.5-.284, .260, 6.5 SAUM, 7MM STW any of the those LR shooting guns would be ideal. a lot of western hunters are going to these calibers from antelope to elk knocking them flat at 600 yards or more.

for the none LR guys, i would think a 7MM, 25-.06 30.06 would please the majority of people.

savage make a predator hunter in the LR calibers and wanna says its in the $900 range..

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been too and been involved in many gun raffles…
What type of fundraiser is this for?
Is this just raffle tickets or will there be an actual event?
If just raffle tickets I’d go with the creedmore and maybe an over/under….probably more than you want to spend but those will sell tickets…
If you are having an event, then go for quantity…and consider having a boards at the event with pistols on them. Remember people spend money on the ticket beforehand….but always bring money to the event

Nelly

Founding Member
Founding Member
In my experience with raffles, where the money is going is the most important part to get people to buy, second is the price per ticket and how many are to be sold. Another is the number of prizes that are offered on the ticket. Most people are going to be happy to just say they won a gun or some sort of prize while supporting your cause. Just my opinion though. Good luck with the raffle.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would you consider one decent adult rifle and about 6 child's rifles ? Could do it for the same price, Cricket 22 is about $ 125. Personally I'd buy a ticket for a good cause but not for a rifle as I already have what I need but my kids and grandkids don't.

EOC_01 childs gun.jpg

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is it the kind of raffle with unlimited tickets or with a set amount?

If it is unlimited then a common caliber would get more of the casual gun owners interested, an off breed caliber sounds great but may only appeal to serious gun enthusiasts.

cornman53

Founding Member
Founding Member
The last one we ran we talked to our local gun shop and we just picked the model and the winner could go in and choose what ever caliber he wanted. That seemed to appeal to quite a few people. We had a Remington 700 SPS Varmint that the winner could pick 22-250, 223, 243, or 308. That was right in the $700 range. Then we had a Weatherby Vanguard S2 that they could pick from about 8 different calibers 22-250 up to 338 Win. That was about a $500 rifle. I would think any local shop would be happy to work with you on that.

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
We do a separate raffle, one gun, with a fundraiser for fire rescue. Over all the years of doing it the AR's have made us the most money, by a big margin.

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
with all the gun raffles i've done ive noticed the biggest questions asked when selling tickets are A) how many tickets are you selling B) how much per ticket (you will get a lot of people to buy more if you do some sort of a deal for the more you buy the better deal you get
and C) what guns are on the raffle you will sell more tickets with the common guns, guns people recognize, 8 guys outta 10 that i sell raffle tickets dont have a clue what a 6.5 creedmore is but i always make sure and tell these people, which you have to clear it with whoever you are getting the guns from( i always go with scheels ) but they let the customer use whatever money was paid for for the gun to be used on anything in the store as in store credit if they would rather not use that gun or have any gun for that matter they can get it all put on a gift card and go buy a flasher or something, my .02 i've put on a 10-20 gun raffle every year for 6 years now and this is what has worked for me.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another thought…if you get the guns from Scheels I believe they will exchange them for store credit if the winner does not want that particular gun…

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some good points brought up. Here is my personal opinion-

1- Your $700 price range is good. Still a quality gun to interest people yet keep costs reasonable.

2- AR's will bring money but a quality bolt action rifle is the widest appeal. Either work with a dealer that will allow you to choose calibers or stick with something common. You will turn away folks with an oddball caliber.

3- Make sure it is a well known brand name. I know a group that did a raffle on a nice Howa last year. Howa is not well known in the area and they struggled with ticket sales.

4- Raffles with limited tickets seem to do better IMO. Give a discount for multiple tickets. Do the math here and make the most of it but keep the tickets reasonable.

5- I am personally not a fan of pistols on raffles, just not enough interest from the common folk.

6- If I had to pick, I'd find a nice 700 Remington rifle or similar. For shotguns, an A300 Beretta or other 3" semi auto will sell you tickets through brand recongnition and the semi auto feature. Few will be bothered they can't shoot roman candles out of it!

Good luck!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67