7mm 168 vld's

ndweimer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here are some groups I worked up for my rifle. Would like to make a long range load. I feel I have found the best combination of powder charge, seating depth, and primer. Anything else I could do to try and improve the groups? Rifle is basically stock except trigger and barrel is floated. I am unsure if the flyers in the group are shooter error or just all the rifle is capable of. Any thoughts? I do have the chronograph readings too.

Attachments

IMG_20160728_121358300_HDR.jpg

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
For a factory rifle and five shot groups that is pretty good. Don't believe the hype there are not that many rifles that shoot a consistent 1/2 moa if there was no one would spend on a custom. More info like shooting off bags or rest ,scope and what not would help. I would work with the top right one my self.

ndweimer

Founding Member
Founding Member
For a factory rifle and five shot groups that is pretty good. Don't believe the hype there are not that many rifles that shoot a consistent 1/2 moa if there was no one would spend on a custom. More info like shooting off bags or rest ,scope and what not would help. I would work with the top right one my self.
Zeiss conquest with target turrets, shooting off a lead sled. Brass is also sorted by weight.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
what kind of rifle? Sorting brass is a waste of time in a factory gun and for most applications unless you are shooting bench rest. Did you check the concentricity of your rounds. Turn necks and all that jazz if weight sorting brass is part of the program. I would look at trigger and stock up grades if you really want to get serious and then practice alot nothing beats trigger time

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
You should always test loads at 300+ yards IMO... What range were those shot at?

ndweimer

Founding Member
Founding Member
what kind of rifle? Sorting brass is a waste of time in a factory gun and for most applications unless you are shooting bench rest. Did you check the concentricity of your rounds. Turn necks and all that jazz if weight sorting brass is part of the program. I would look at trigger and stock up grades if you really want to get serious and then practice alot nothing beats trigger time
Remington 700 BDL. Which would be preferred? New stock or bedding the action on the original? Which stock should I consider?
Trigger is set to 2 lbs.
Did not check concentricity, have seriously thought about it though after a recommendation from someone else.

- - - Updated - - -

You should always test loads at 300+ yards IMO... What range were those shot at?

100yds

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Remington 700 BDL. Which would be preferred? New stock or bedding the action on the original? Which stock should I consider?
Trigger is set to 2 lbs.
Did not check concentricity, have seriously thought about it though after a recommendation from someone else.

- - - Updated - - -

100yds

new stock if wanting to spend mcmillian or manners i have a bell and carlson i am happy with. Bedding in a new stock would be much better and a timney trigger. Then time behind the gun.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was thinking about the rest SDMF. How hard is that front rest. I shoot all my groups off a 9-13 in h bipod off sod. I have seen groups blown off firm rests.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shoot off the sandbags and use my left hand under the butt of the gun when shooting groups. For me my groups tighten up after i have shot for many days. Its seems after alot of practice my breathing and form get into sinc with my trigger finger.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
No experience with the Lead Sled. I see now how the energy has to go somewhere.

- - - Updated - - -

I could see utility in Africa with iron sights. Field competency tests would still be essential.

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Humans and animals are different. I rarely got laid from a bar when immolated in my own urine. I seemed isolated like a snake; it was hurtful and challenging even as I had my beautiful penis to offer. It seemed women were left to their own devices and later rescued by sweeter scented gentleman who were often placed around by the bitch for security. More like WT than elk. The doe bangs the spike while the ten pointers fight.

- - - Updated - - -

I was decently successful getting a doe in the laurel while "white sunglasses" guys debated Marxism and Chevrolet engines. None of these dumb bastards EVER picked 283 or 327 to the best of my recollection,

- - - Updated - - -

Women like to play ignorant about the content of this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q2oQK8vpZE

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, ladder groups tell you about your scope not your rifle. They are hyped by wannabe snipers. I am wondering about cheek pressure. Many like to press their cheek into the stock in an attempt to further stabilize. That's always a failure.

Svnmag a fellow in the 1970s did his grad work on WT at Slade Nation Wildlife Refuge and observed the phenomenon you described. He described it in lay terms in his thesis, to everyone's amusement.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ladder, groups are worthless imo....

Do you prefer the ocw? I love when people say shit but nothing to go with it......

http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/ocw-vs-ladder/4529811360
Yes, ladder groups tell you about your scope not your rifle. They are hyped by wannabe snipers. I am wondering about cheek pressure. Many like to press their cheek into the stock in an attempt to further stabilize. That's always a failure.

Svnmag a fellow in the 1970s did his grad work on WT at Slade Nation Wildlife Refuge and observed the phenomenon you described. He described it in lay terms in his thesis, to everyone's amusement.

Ladder test has nothing to do with a scope?? Maybe you are thinking box test?

Last edited:

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bed current stock. If that doesn't get u where u want, get new stock and bed that. A decent bell and Carlson can be had for a little over 200 dollars.

I will say, for 5 shot groups those aren't terrible. Shoot it at 200 and 300 as is and see if it's acceptable or not.. Just thinking out loud here

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shoot it at 200 and 300 as is and see if it's acceptable or not

It does occasionally happen that those slickery bullets aren't settled down @ 100 and shoot better groups @ 200-300 than they do @ 100.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe you are thinking box test?
Bingo. I am in a food coma in Vegas.

Wags after two Boyd's laminated stocks I now have a Bell and Carlson Medalist. From inconsistent .5 an inch one way or the other from day to day to .25 or less and consistent.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76