Gas for boat.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
How much gas do you burn in a normal season and what grade? Here in the se nd lakes are fairly small so once I am on water its mostly trolling motor for the day. Its like I just use the big motor to load and unload and zip around the lake too drain live well or too cool off on a hot day. I always use premium, for the little extra cost for 20 to 30 gal it makes no difference to me.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
stick with it then. biggest thing is to stay away from ethanol. the octane makes absolutely no difference. So if you can get ethanol free 87 for .20 less than 91 burn it.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use about 20 gallons a year. But I only have a 15 on the boat so I can get about 3 weeks out of a tank. I run non ethanol gas is everything but the cars.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
im just like you Lbrant. I fished 3x early this summer and decided to fill ( non ethanol) and only put 2.8 gallons in I was floored how little I actually drove but right now I haven't had to move spots but once this summer and cont to do well.

- - - Updated - - -

oh my gas gauge doesn't work so I henerally fill every 3-4x

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha, I burned 100 gallons or so the week prefishing for and the weekend of the DWC. Premium in the 350 of course.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
10-40 Gal/weekend give or take. I still run non-Ethanol.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha, I burned 100 gallons or so the week prefishing for and the weekend of the DWC. Premium in the 350 of course.

image.jpg

The Rusty Nitro garage pre tourney

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha. I only used 1/4 of a tank each day of the tourney. Of course it does have a 64 gallon tank!

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
87 no ethanol but can't find it. Then I burn 91 no e. My whole purchase is with regards to no e and a highly trafficked gas station to keep it fresh as possible. My engine is in its prime with 87 and that is what it calls for.

- - - Updated - - -

As far as how much depends on where I go and vAries. It seems like I am always fueling

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
VP racing fuel is anywhere between 6 to 10 bucks a gallon...2 strokers should mix klotz racing oil...that way they think you got a bad ass motor....lol.....disclaimer: do on your own risk buddy....lol

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
With my kids and the GF's kids tubing more as they get older, I have doubled my fuel consumption, and then some.

I suppose I am right at 100 gallons for the year so far.

Oh, and that's either premium or at a minimum NA gas.

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
VP racing fuel is anywhere between 6 to 10 bucks a gallon...2 strokers should mix klotz racing oil...that way they think you got a bad ass motor....lol.....disclaimer: do on your own risk buddy....lol
last time I priced a jug at Mondak it was $156 lol. Of course you could buy the same thing for $80 from the VP vendor at the races

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why -the racing fuel in a newer 2 stroke outboard? If an engine is not designed to take advantage of the higher octane, it will operate slightly less efficient that with lower rated octane fuel. It would need to run slightly richer to create the same power output and use more gas-- waste of time and money imo to put racing fuel in it. Please corrrect me if i am wrong -- I dont believe that the computer on the outboard is like the one in your vehicle.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Racing fuel is just that--high octane fuel..more of a requirement for higher compression engines for horsepower so to speak, you don't necessarily need that over 100 octane for a boat motor, but some lower grade race fuel like 96 unleaded octane that Sunoco makes is 67.30 for 5 gallon can. Highest octane you can buy at the pump with out ethanol is 91 I believe. I'm sure most boat motor manufactureres are designing motors to use the lower octane fuel that you can buy at the stations. But higher octane fuel gives the motor alittle more kick depending on the compression.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
if your motor is designed to run at 87 octane higher octane fuel will do absolutely nothing in terms of increased performance. boat motors are all designed to run at 87 octane. Ethanol is another critter in itself. Higher octane is simply for preventing detonation/pre-ignition. If your motor is designed to run on 87 octane then they have designed the engine not to detonate/pre-ignite on 87 octane.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have noticed from going from 2-stroke to 4-stroke I use about half as much gas…fill the boat up at the beginning of the summer then used to bring two 6 gallon cans every other weekend…now I am down to about one every other weekend weekend…I try and run 100% gasoline as much as possible I have found two stations in Fargo that sell 87 octane 100% gas….if cant’ get to them it’s premium with no ethanol…

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's not 2 vs 4. It's because u moved up in technology. It's well documentated that the 2s are just as efficient and some are better then 4s. Prop makes a big difference.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80