Burris Eliminator legal in ND?

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have seen quite a few of these floating around on peoples guns, as well as heard scott bachmeir on the radio using one of the burris eliminator electronic range finding scopes. Are these things even legal in ND, especially wondering for big game. Everyone I have talked to that shoots them says the are easy to use and accurate as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVXyUUu-4wc

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have thought about trying one of these but was never sure on the legality and not sure about the functionality in the cold winter months they(burris) says the low temp range is -15 F. If the laser doesn't work can it still be used as a normal scope?? Not to hard to keep a range finder in my pocket to keep warmer and a have a leupold cds scope. Range dial shoot pretty easy.
Ranging and hold over or dialing the scope is the easy part, figuring out the wind is the hard part, if they made a scope that would calculate the wind automatically I would be all over that.

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have thought about trying one of these but was never sure on the legality and not sure about the functionality in the cold winter months they(burris) says the low temp range is -15 F. If the laser doesn't work can it still be used as a normal scope?? Not to hard to keep a range finder in my pocket to keep warmer and a have a leupold cds scope. Range dial shoot pretty easy.
Ranging and hold over or dialing the scope is the easy part, figuring out the wind is the hard part, if they made a scope that would calculate the wind automatically I would be all over that.

and shoot the gun and gut the deer and drag it out too!? holy smokes! haha whats wrong with a good ole fashion scope and taking the time at the range to get to know your gun and how it shoots?.... just my .02

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
this thing calculates wind drift if you can tell what the wind is, if your not going to carry a range finder mine as well carry a anemometer for wind and temp

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not sure about ND but I have a couple friends that use them here in SD. They are pretty neat. I know they have killed deer at over 500 yds a couple times. I think one got one at little over 600. However, you can hit big game that far but can you ethically kill them? Often times deer are hit at 500+ but you end up tracking it another 500. If shooting that far you probably need a little larger gun and definitely a very good round. I prefer not to shoot that far

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd love to have one on a varmint rifle, blasting prairie dogs.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not sure about ND but I have a couple friends that use them here in SD. They are pretty neat. I know they have killed deer at over 500 yds a couple times. I think one got one at little over 600. However, you can hit big game that far but can you ethically kill them? Often times deer are hit at 500+ but you end up tracking it another 500. If shooting that far you probably need a little larger gun and definitely a very good round. I prefer not to shoot that far

6.5 creedmoor will kill them dead in their bed at 587 with the 140 amax place it right and tracking should not happen. The itty bitty 243 is pretty good at killing long ways with the 105 amax

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
and shoot the gun and gut the deer and drag it out too!? holy smokes! haha whats wrong with a good ole fashion scope and taking the time at the range to get to know your gun and how it shoots?.... just my .02

With this scope and gun or any scope and gun you need to get in plenty of range time and need to know the ballistics/drop or your bullet. Not saying get a rangefinder scope and go giver hell. If a guy plans on shooting past 200-300 yards, I think learning moa or using luepolds cds scopes are the way to. But on windy days in the prairie judging and dialing for the wind is when things get tricky.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd love to have one on a varmint rifle, blasting prairie dogs.

This would be fun. I was pondering getting one for my coyote rifle till I seen the -15 degrees low temp range, don't know how windchill would affect that but the colder it is it seems like the easier it can be to call in the yotes

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
my brother has one of these on his .338 lapua, they are pretty sweet, I think it takes a little bit to get them fully sighted in tho.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think they are illegal for deer in ND

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Deer Gun and Youth Deer Seasons--Center fire rifles of .22 to .49 caliber and muzzleloading rifles of .45 caliber or larger are legal for deer. Center fire rifles of .50 caliber or larger using smokeless powder with a case length of greater than 3.5 inches are prohibited. Rifled slugs or patched round balls of 20 gauge or larger are legal for shotguns and muzzleloading shotguns.Minimum barrel length of shotguns is 18 inches. Handguns must have a minimum barrel length of 4 inches and be .35 cal. or larger. In addition, any center fire handgun designed to fire a legal rifle cartridge shall be legal. Muzzleloading handguns must be .50 caliber or larger. Fully automatic firearms, full-metal jacketed bullets, which are non-expanding, as well as altered projectiles are prohibited. All legal bow equipment as listed above in the Deer Bow season section shall be legal during the Deer Gun season. Crossbows are legal during the Deer Gun season with a Deer Gun or a Youth Deer license. Crossbows must: a) have a peak draw weight of at least 75 pounds, b) be equipped with a working safety to prevent accidental firing, c) have a stock at least 14 inches long, d) use bolts at least 14 inches in length.

* Use of night vision equipment, electronically enhanced light gathering optics or thermal imaging equipment for locating or hunting game is prohibited.

This is all directly from the proclamation. Looks to me like the Burris Scopes are perfectly legal.

Radar13

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ranging and hold over or dialing the scope is the easy part, figuring out the wind is the hard part, if they made a scope that would calculate the wind automatically I would be all over that.[/QUOTE

I heard when it gets real cold you tape a hand warmer around the battery area. it's the batteries that have problems with the cold weather

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
That would really make a guy confident it is working with a hand warmers duct taped to the side. Little bit of fog or haze and the one I was with would not range. Elite 1600 was having no problem along with the lieca

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
That would really make a guy confident it is working with a hand warmers duct taped to the side. Little bit of fog or haze and the one I was with would not range. Elite 1600 was having no problem along with the lieca

Haha...... Missing a coyote cause the scope is F'd up isn't the end of the world. But missing a buck or bull elk of a lifetime cuz the hand warmer ran out of heat, yea not going chance it, if that happened the laser scope would be used as a target sighting in a new scope

Radar13

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the older ones run off the larger watch type batteries, I see the new ones have lithium Battery.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
My nephew shoots the Burris on a Remote 300 ultra and has never complained about it.

Kurt those Creedmoor are magic. Mine spotted a buck sniffing a doe at 758 yd and killed him. You have to keep the scope covers on them or they will kill anything that moves within 1200 yd. :;:muahaha

R e m 300 ultra darn phone.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really dig these threads, I wonder what the next challenge will be.... off the rock, under the chin to put bambi in the soup pot.;:;rofl

Living vicariously through others, seems I have embraced the new national pastime ;:;banghead

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80