Brine for Pork Shoulder

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a couple of Boston Butts that I want to smoke and am looking for recommendations for a brine recipe to soak them in. I plan on leaving them in the brine for a couple of days prior to smoking. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
They've often been injected/brined before you got them. What did the shrink wrap say on it?

I just rub mine down with Memphis rub and mustard/molasses slather a day prior. Butts are naturally suited to smoke as is from the grocer with no need for brining IMO.

if you end up doing it let us know what happens. :)

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
They've often been injected/brined before you got them. What did the shrink wrap say on it?

I just rub mine down with Memphis rub and mustard/molasses slather a day prior. Butts are naturally suited to smoke as is from the grocer with no need for brining IMO.

if you end up doing it let us know what happens. :)

Do you buy Memphis rub or is there a recipe for it?

Mike Fretty

Founding Member
Founding Member
i used to make my own rub, but kinda like webers kc rub better. bought it at sams club. you can inject with apple juice or vinegar. seems like 225f/hr/lb . sometimes finish off in the oven at 350 or rotisserie to get outside crispy

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not trying to hijack here but with my 40" masterbuilt electric it's more like 2hrs/lb @ 225 degrees...is there something wrong with it? I've done at least a dozen butts in it and there always right around that timeline per lb.

- - - Updated - - -

This is my brine recipe for 2 (6-10lb)butts so cut it in half for one. Has always turned out amazing so have never done anything different. I use it for the brine,injection, and mop during smoking.

8 cups apple juice
4 cups water
3/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup beef broth
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper

Last edited:

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have never brined either just rubbed with spices for a day and has always turned out good. One thing regarding time is you can wrap in foil once it hits 165 degrees to get past the stall to speed it up. But it seems all shoulders/butts are different depending upon how much fat and marbling needs to be rendered

sbe2

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just inject with a combo of apple juice, worsteshire sauce, sugar, water and use whatever rub I make or find. The famous daves rib rub works good for pork butts and tastes good.

Mike Fretty

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not trying to hijack here but with my 40" masterbuilt electric it's more like 2hrs/lb @ 225 degrees...is there something wrong with it? I've done at least a dozen butts in it and there always right around that timeline per lb.

- - - Updated - - -

This is my brine recipe for 2 (6-10lb)butts so cut it in half for one. Has always turned out amazing so have never done anything different. I use it for the brine,injection, and mop during smoking.

8 cups apple juice
4 cups water
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup beef broth
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon garlic powder

Wat internal temp are u shooting for? 190ish?

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wat internal temp are u shooting for? 190ish?
Hitting 190-195 is step one, but the pork will tell you when it's ready to pull. Once it hits temp try to grab a piece off the edge. If it still resists leave it on until it pulls easily. And don't forget the rest period! I wrap the foiled slab in a towel and stash it in a cooler for an hour. Smoky juicy heaven. Just did one last Saturday and this thread has me thinking it's time for another
Empty cooler. No ice. Had to clarify.

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hitting 190-195 is step one, but the pork will tell you when it's ready to pull. Once it hits temp try to grab a piece off the edge. If it still resists leave it on until it pulls easily. And don't forget the rest period! I wrap the foiled slab in a towel and stash it in a cooler for an hour. Smoky juicy heaven. Just did one last Saturday and this thread has me thinking it's time for another
Empty cooler. No ice. Had to clarify.

Yup I'm on top of all that. I was just wondering if there's something wrong with my smoker if it takes 14-16hrs to get a 7-9lb butt done internally to 190-195 degrees because I always hear this talk of 1hr/lb. Just looking for some insight on the times you guys normally see.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
14-15 hours seems fine to me. Low and slow.

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

8 cups apple juice
4 cups water
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup beef broth
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon garlic powder

Thanks for the recipe. I'll give it a whirl! I have used a recipe that included some Tenderquick (I think) but I left it at our place in Texas last spring. I liked it because some of the butt turned out almost like ham with a nice pink color. Once I get back to it I will share.

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the recipe. I'll give it a whirl! I have used a recipe that included some Tenderquick (I think) but I left it at our place in Texas last spring. I liked it because some of the butt turned out almost like ham with a nice pink color. Once I get back to it I will share.

This recipe is just two recipes i found online combined into one. I tried them both seperately and liked them both so just combined them. Hasn't failed me yet. Have always gotten good reviews at family get togethers. If you use it let me know what you think of it once you get to eating the pork.Thumbs Up

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i use a home made seasoning for a rub we use on everything but pancakes, and never inject or brine... i usually wash and trim the butts of fat on all sides, and rub 12 to 24 hours b4 smoking... after washing and applying rub, i wrap tight and put in fridge till i throw them on the traeger...

i never crutch, and cook them to 203, no matter how long it takes, @ 225... will wrap and let sit for up to 4 hours b4 pulling depending on when meal is to b served, but try not to... bark is much better if not wrapped, and at 203, meat is tender, and fat is reduced to a minimum...

i try to buy smaller butts 4-6#, and cook 2 or 3 at a time, giving more bark, and reducing cooking time... i usually plan on 10 hours for this...

this is my go to site for anything bbq... enjoy...

http://amazingribs.com/

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is also a great rub for ribs or pork butts. I use it on all my pork butts.

1/4 cup paprika
1/8 cup black pepper
2 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp onion powder
1-2 tbsp cayenne pepper
1/4 cup coarse kosher salt
1/4 cup brown sugar

hardwaterdriller

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is pretty much the rub I use ^jpv. Turns out great. I never brine mine either. It can take anywhere from 10-14 hours for a 9# shoulder, it just depends. After it gets a decent bark(7-8 hours), I place it in a foil tray and cover it and then finish it to 203-205 degrees internally. Using a foil tray helps when it is done and trying to remove it from the smoker so it doesn't fall apart in the smoker. Then the most important part, let it rest in a cooler for a couple hours. This keeps all the moisture in. Then pull and enjoy. If you ever have to use a knife to "pull" the pork, you didn't cook it long enough. 205 degrees internally seems like the magic number.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
14-15 hours seems fine to me. Low and slow.

- - - Updated - - -

16998151_424307884575455_4762808463716302133_n.jpg

That is a good book, have several of his books!

McCormick makes a sweet n smokey rub, has chipotle and some cinnamon pretty good on pork. I usually do not brine a shoulder but sometimes will inject some apple cider. Usually need to hit 195° to get it to pull. Pork shoulder is way more forgiving than a brisket and you can go a little higher on temps if you need to towards the end of the cook. I mop with apple cider/juice, beer and a little mollasses or maple syrup

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

Check for internal tempature in the smoker w/ another thermometer. The control went bad on my masterbuilt and was 75-90 degrees shy of what the display said.

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

Check for internal tempature in the smoker w/ another thermometer. The control went bad on my masterbuilt and was 75-90 degrees shy of what the display said.

I have tried that and it's within a few degrees of both thermometers I have used to test. Hmmmmmmm....

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 75