Chokecherry wine recipe

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
OK, so with the over abundance of chokecherries I have this year, I am looking for some chokecherry wine recipes.

Not a huge fan of dry wines, I much prefer the sweeter varieties and have never made my own before. If you have a recipe that calls for using juice instead of whole cherries, even better. I don't look forward to having to pluck the stems off of a lot of cherries.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
skip to 2:24

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBJ6qwBswIQ

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think Grandma used all this stuff. I BELIEVE it was just yeast and a bit of sugar. Her wine wasn't either dry or sweet. We always described the flavor as "tawny".

- - - Updated - - -

I think her grapes actually came over on the boat from Italy with great Grandma. I remember they were about .50 cal, reddish purple and tasted terrible off the vine.

- - - Updated - - -

There is no Part 2. Perhaps you can combine the two vids?...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g19rS4l38Po

- - - Updated - - -

Got this in my head:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpAebawrv4w

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I had my Dads recipe I would certainly share it but I don't know if he ever kept notes , I remember he used a lot of sugar and complained about the price so we would make a trip to Canada to stock up on supplies. Sugar, Flour and a lot of other supplies were quite a bit cheaper in Canada

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
go to this page. The recipe on the bottom is probably the easiest. http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/chokech.asp

You can buy all of the stuff you need at the wine place in Bismarck or on internet. I've made wine in the past. It can be hard to make a good wine. When the recipe says to wait for 9 - 12 months, I would wait. It definitely tastes better in 12 months. If you want crappy, easy wine then just add sugar and wine yeast to any juice. It will ferment and get you drunk but not taste good.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My folks had a recipe that turned out like Mogen David Blackberry. Dads brother and his wife helped one year for a share of the wine but they got in a hurry and bottled and capped it to soon, was not done fermenting and bottles blewup in their basement. Dad used crock jars 5 and 10 gallon size for the fermenting if I remember right, down in our root cellar. You just don't hear of that anymore.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
You damn near got neg repped for calling Mad Dog whatever the hell you said.

- - - Updated - - -

My folks had a recipe that turned out like Mogen David Blackberry. Dads brother and his wife helped one year for a share of the wine but they got in a hurry and bottled and capped it to soon, was not done fermenting and bottles blewup in their basement. Dad used crock jars 5 and 10 gallon size for the fermenting if I remember right, down in our root cellar. You just don't hear of that anymore.

That's one of the major problems with our Country.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyways, hee hee: Did y'all use all those science ingredients like in my above vids? Pretty sure Grandma(s) just used sugar and yeast.

- - - Updated - - -

--and strained it through cloth. We still have a bottle or two in the Hills and I don't recall sediment.

- - - Updated - - -

I do recall well water and rain barrels. I'm sure the cloth contained no soap.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
th

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
yup sevn , Sounds like the memories are about the same. Dad had a 35 Gallon Red wing with one broken handle and a few hairline cracks that he cherished like it was made out of gold. The old basement walls were/are made from split field rocks and on one end is a "fruit room" where all the canning, Potatoes, flower roots and salted meat hung. There were shelves and the top one was lined with gallons of wine.
The old house should have been tore down years ago but I just couldn't do it. When I do I will salvage the flat stones from the basement and make a new outdoor fire pit. Boy for memories, You would like these hills.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 144
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 86