Wandering throttle

watson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know everyone on here runs either full throttle or is trolling, but does anyone know how to keep the throttle at a consistent speed. I have a ranger fish/ski with a merc, and the kids like to kneeboard and wake board and are always complaining that I am slowing down then have to speed up. i try to keep it at 20 but it will always creep down. I asked the dealer to check it this spring when I had it in but was told there is nothing they can do about it. I call BS on that.

Last edited:

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've spent a ton of hours towing watersports with outboards and I/O's and I feel there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. When a skier or boarder turns, cuts, or whatever the load on the boat and motor changes. If you're just pulling them straight behind the boat it is easy with a constant load. A good driver is constantly having to adjust throttle to maintain the desired speed. I always try hard but it seems when I get behind the boat we are either barely planing or off like a rocketship! Or, you can but a nice Mastercraft with cruise control LOL!

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
What brand of throttle controller do you have? Most newer ones have an end cap or rubber plug on the side of the lever where it pivots and have a simple adjustment on a friction disc, usually takes an allen wrench to do but some may be different.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
don't know how old you unit is, but with the 1998 unit I am running the throttle will slowly recede as it is running at high speed, if I want a long run at about wide open I need to hold my hand on the shifter to stop it from receding and slowing down. I never pull anything so it doesn't matter to me. Just something it has always done. This is a Mariner motor and throttle linkage.
dukgnfsn

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
yes as mentioned you can adjust the friction on them to hold better.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Friction almost freaks me out as much as gravity and magnetism especially when adhesives become involved.

- - - Updated - - -

Crank it up and apply vice grip at proper angle for gravitational assistance. Spring won't be strong enough to defeat. Ensure you can do a quick release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOO5S4vxi0o

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
R u sure it's the throttle. Do u notice it when cruising at a higher speed? Why I say that is u start hooking things up to the boat and speed of plane or full plane changes. Switch out the prip to gain some power/pulling and see what it dooes

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 71