Nd aim 2017 ??

Casey D

Founding Member
Founding Member
After watching some of the final interviews of the ND State Championship it sounded as though they have decided to do it again next year with 4 qualifiers and a championship. Did anyone else hear this? Or if you were there have they already made the schedule for next year and if so does anyone have it?

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Last I heard was 4 qualifiers, and you must attend at least 3 of the 4 to get into the championship.

powerman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last I heard was 4 qualifiers, and you must attend at least 3 of the 4 to get into the championship.

I hope you are right. I fished one event this summer and had alot of fun. Will definitely be anxiously waiting for the schedule.

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wonder where the fourth location would be?

We talked with the directors for quite awhile Thursday night and we suggested Oahe in May. They are open to suggestions and willing to make things the best for the anglers as its our circuit and our money. Dates and locations have to be approved by the ND game and fish so anything they are planning is subject to change at this point.

Casey D

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have a few teams out of Jamestown talking about doing it next year. Were gonna see if its the "Missouri River Division" first. LOL

ndskeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've talked back and forth with Denny quite a bit and there will most likely be 4 events and I'm thinking 1 on the Missouri River and then 2 on Sakakawea and 2 on Devils lake. I also recommended the championship go back and forth between the 2 venues.

Last edited:

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member

I understand this is all just in the planning phase so who knows what it will be. However I think it might be a bad choice to follow this format for the second year.

I think the biggest obstacle they had for participation this year was a lot of people had commitments or loyalty to some other existing tournaments and its just hard for many to find the time to do them all.

Given this, I am not sure why you would add another tournament or qualifier until you can bring up the participation in the originals. I think people like the team of the year or point system that connects all the tournaments however the more qualifiers you have to more commitment it takes for each team to make it to all the events. If they can only make it to two of the qualifiers and that eliminates them from the championship and also realistically takes them out of the team of the year race, what's the point in doing the AIM vs just doing the existing tournaments already in place for years.

To simplify it just seems like its too soon to expand.

The only positive twist I think you could put on this is if you did something like the following
1.) 4 qualifiers - 2 on west side of state, 2 on east side of state
2.) Need to fish only two qualifiers to fish the championship
3.) championship rotates east and west location

I think you are really limiting participation from anyone on the east side if your having 5 events and 4 of them are on the MO system.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
To up participation they need to figure out a way to advertise these a little better. This spring I didn't even know there was an AIM tourney on the Missouri till after the fact.

Casey D

Founding Member
Founding Member
I understand this is all just in the planning phase so who knows what it will be. However I think it might be a bad choice to follow this format for the second year.

I think the biggest obstacle they had for participation this year was a lot of people had commitments or loyalty to some other existing tournaments and its just hard for many to find the time to do them all.

Given this, I am not sure why you would add another tournament or qualifier until you can bring up the participation in the originals. I think people like the team of the year or point system that connects all the tournaments however the more qualifiers you have to more commitment it takes for each team to make it to all the events. If they can only make it to two of the qualifiers and that eliminates them from the championship and also realistically takes them out of the team of the year race, what's the point in doing the AIM vs just doing the existing tournaments already in place for years.

To simplify it just seems like its too soon to expand.

The only positive twist I think you could put on this is if you did something like the following
1.) 4 qualifiers - 2 on west side of state, 2 on east side of state
2.) Need to fish only two qualifiers to fish the championship
3.) championship rotates east and west location

I think you are really limiting participation from anyone on the east side if your having 5 events and 4 of them are on the MO system.
I totally Agree with East and west.At the least having one of them east

Tim Sandstrom

Founding Member
Founding Member
Having 4 events still means you only need to fish three qualifiers. So it hasn't added strain actually allows people to pick their three.

I do wish they had boundaries. Sure part of it is because I have a slower boat but if they want more anglers they should consider that there are other anglers out there with smaller boats and smaller motors. If the fishermen are fishermen they shouldn't need to run 30 miles to get them. Maybe I am wrong but I think it turns people off to have unlimited boundaries. Tough to compete when bigger fish are accessible moreso to big boats and motors.

Or maybe I am just whining ;-)

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Having 4 events still means you only need to fish three qualifiers. So it hasn't added strain actually allows people to pick their three.

Did the rules this year require you to fish all three to fish the championship? Or was the championship open to all?

It looks like other states have set up there AIM format with 4 qualifiers. Do they only take into account the top 3 scores from the 4 qualifiers?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75