Networked HDS 8 gen2 and HDS 9 touch... Now what?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
What kind of neat things can I now do with the HDS 8 at the bow and HDS 9 back at the tiller? What do you Lowrance guys do to take advantage of networked units?

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, my chinese fishing camera is on its way (ebay). I'll post some screen-shots of walleye and bluegill once it arrives.

- - - Updated - - -

ps I have LSS1 with the lss1 box and they're sharing LSS1 of course.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depends on what you all got hooked up to them, structure scan, GPS puck?

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't think of anything ridiculous to post.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
Basically they share all way points, charts, maps, trails, transducers. I guess if you have a specific question I can answer it for you, but...

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can they "mirror" each other? Simply be a display of what the other one is displaying?

- - - Updated - - -

Depends on what you all got hooked up to them, structure scan, GPS puck?

they both have built in GPS so I have ditched the puck. Is the puck better maybe? (less dilution of precision?)

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
They can mirror each other, but I usually use them as separate units only I don't have to run from front to back to set a waypoint on each individually. Being networked, you only need to buy one depth card and they will both "see" it. The trails are on displayed on both units.

The puck is a large increase in accuracy. It turns the GPS heading into a 3 axis compass instead of a 2 axis, finds itself faster and even finds a GPS fix in my garage with the door shut. For $200 its worth it.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
what is your Chinese fishing cam?

s-l64.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

They can mirror each other, but I usually use them as separate units only I don't have to run from front to back to set a waypoint on each individually. Being networked, you only need to buy one depth card and they will both "see" it. The trails are on displayed on both units.

The puck is a large increase in accuracy. It turns the GPS heading into a 3 axis compass instead of a 2 axis, finds itself faster and even finds a GPS fix in my garage with the door shut. For $200 its worth it.

so I only have to run the GPS (LGC2000 if I recall) to the HDS 9 in back, then I'm good - right?

The HDS 8 up front will then get GPS data across the LAN network - correct? (as long as I have the HDS 9 powered up)

I want to avoid the NMEA 2000 network purchase/setup.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think that is correct. I networked all my graphs via NEMA2000 so Im not 100% on that.

- - - Updated - - -

If you call Lowrance customer service they can tell you for sure. They are very helpful!

- - - Updated - - -

1 (800) 628-4487

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will if I get stuck - but then all the other curious folks on NDA would not be able to learn from the Lowrance gurus on NDA :D

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
s-l64.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

so I only have to run the GPS (LGC2000 if I recall) to the HDS 9 in back, then I'm good - right?

The HDS 8 up front will then get GPS data across the LAN network - correct? (as long as I have the HDS 9 powered up)

I want to avoid the NMEA 2000 network purchase/setup.

Yeah, that should work. 99% sure.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody using a legacy LGC2000 puck on the newer HDS touch? The pins are different - I suppose this is the blue to red NMEA2000 color change people spoke of. Other than an adapter is there any reason my old LGC2000 won't work with the HDS 9 touch?

- - - Updated - - -

some say the new built-in is superior to the old external?

http://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-458330.html

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
point-1 gps puck should be better as it has proper heading and not position only gps

- - - Updated - - -

I think new internals and old lgc pucks were the similar Hz refresh rates

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe my Gen II touch updates 1 time per second, whereas the puck updates 10 times per second. The Gen III's may be different.

With the ethernet connection its nice when you make or delete a waypoint/trail, or edit a waypoint/trail it updates it on both units. The newer units can share 1 map, but your HDS 8 might not be compatible for this.

You can have each unit reading its own transducer, or you can switch to have both units using the trolling motor transducer or the back transducer.

Like others have said, you can send your side and downscan information to the other unit.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 115
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69