Deer Genetics

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a question about deer genetics and I'm hoping someone here can either answer it or point me in the direction of an answer....

I always see on these hunting shows where guys are hunting on ranches and they have "cull bucks", some of which are deer that just don't have the potential to be trophies but some of them are trophies that are past their prime and on the down hill slide not growing bone like the were the years prior....

The question I have is, as a deer ages does it's Genetic structure or DNA structure change? If it doesn't, wouldn't it make sense to keep those older trophy deer that were able to survive?
Yes they may be old, and no longer the "dominant buck in the area, but he should still be able to breed a couple does a year... Shouldn't the DNA that he passes on be the same whether he's in his prime or a couple years past his prime?

I may be thinking about this all wrong and missing something completely. Anyone got any info on the subject?

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
Generally speaking when a herd is managed properly the next generation will have superior genetics to that of the previous generation. Certain individuals from the previous generation may have great genetics, but with proper herd management each generation down the line should be superior

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Generally speaking when a herd is managed properly the next generation will have superior genetics to that of the previous generation. Certain individuals from the previous generation may have great genetics, but with proper herd management each generation down the line should be superior

Perfectly stated.

Genetic structure does not change (how it is expressed may).

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Minus a high fence (and limited population) research has shown that selective harvest has no perceptable impact on herd genetics.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75