Trailer bunk board options.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Having had 2 pontoons and 2 different trailers have had issues with carpeted wooden bunk boards on both, carpet tearing, boards rotting out within 2-3 years and screws pulling out bunks falling off you name it. I had been looking for different option for a few years and found a company that makes Poly bunk board that actually look like wood grain, they are quite spendy but after all the headaches wooden bunks gave me over the years these things are awesome, plus the pontoon loads and unloads a lot easier too. Here is a link to the product I have been using going on my second season. I highly recommend this to anyone who wants to upgrade the carpeted bunk boards.

http://www.ultimatebunkboards.com/index.html

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep!! Have friends that put these on their trailers and liked them as well. Good Post Wild!!

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
some day I am going to redesign my trailer. Put rollers and bunks on it. Make it so that the rollers can be raised up to just slightly higher than the bunks for loading the boat. Then after loading they are lowered down so that the boat sits on the bunks. That will make loading easier and will prevent the bunk carpet from wearing out. And the boat rides better going down the road on bunks.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
4 out of 6 lag bolts fell out of my bunks recently. The wood rotted out around the bolts. Since the boards were still mostly ok, and the carpet is still in really good shape, I fixed it by drilling a hole through the board and putting a carriage bolt through from the top (making sure to sink it into the wood far enough so the boat doesn't scrape). Pretty good so far.

Those ultimate bunk boards look pretty cool, but are pretty spendy. Makes me wonder if there's a composite deck board out there that would be pretty much the same thing -- I know most of them are pretty flimsy and wouldn't hold up.

That's also one of the worst web sites I've ever seen. It was maybe ok back in 1997. Reminds me of FBO...

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Those look great. Food for thought. My bunks are ok for now, but when they get bad I'll have to consider these. Thanks for the share.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
These are a lot denser material than composite deck boards from what I have read and they have a wood grain look to them on all sides with nicely rounded molded corners, I counter sunk carriage bolts when I mounted them as well, these things are very slippery when wet so they are about as easy to load up on as rollers when wet plus the boat sits more secure than rollers with less stress points I would think.
It takes about 1/2 the power if that to get my pontoon loaded than with carpeted bunks and that is without having to back the trailer in nearly as far also.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just had a bolt holding one of my guide-on fall out today. Reminds me of why I hate bunk trailers. Buy a boat with a good hull and let her roll!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80