Favorite Fish Batter?

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's everyone's go-to recipe for beer battered fish? I like original Shore Lunch and then add in a tablespoon of Lawry's to the package, then fry as normal. Anybody have a batter mix that they really like or a concoction they mix up? I'm always looking for new recipes and am curious what other guys use.

I usually make other dishes with fish to keep it healthy but like to fry some once in awhile too.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
our family usually uses saltines ground up into a powder and then add lemon pepper and a shit tone of dill weed. Dip in egg and then in the saltines and then in the grease.

This stuff is pretty good too. Gets nice and crispy.

images.jpg

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
our family usually uses saltines ground up into a powder and then add lemon pepper and a shit tone of dill weed. Dip in egg and then in the saltines and then in the grease.

This stuff is pretty good too. Gets nice and crispy.

IMG_0255.jpg

I use bacon flavored ritz crackers a lot. I put them in the ninja blender and add pepper, tatonka dust, garlic and onion powder, with a little "slap ya mama" spicy seasoning.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use bacon flavored ritz crackers a lot. I put them in the ninja blender and add pepper, tatonka dust, garlic and onion powder, with a little "slap ya mama" spicy seasoning.

you had me at "bacon flavored"

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like mixing legendary northwoods original with their cajun mix. Then add beer until it's the consistency of pancake batter. I use this if I'm going the deep fryer method. Then as it comes out of the fryer lightly dust it with some lemon pepper. Not healthy but usually the easiest way to feed a lot of people.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Zatarain's here also. Although to change things up on occasion, try this instead. Brush fillets with yellow mustard, then shake in a baggie that has crushed pretzels. Bake. :;:thumbsup

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Shore Lunch, some lemon pepper and a scampi flavoring powder I get out of Firehouse Pantry, eggs and milk wash, gal zip-lock and shake until coated. Little deepfat fryer at 350 until done. Don't get no better.:;:thumbsup

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cajun Shore Lunch is my stand by for store bought. but throw some flour, fresh cracked black pepper, Tatonka Dust, and a few other seasonings in a bowl usually turns out pretty good. First into the flour mix. then milk, back into flour then into hot peanut oil.

Hey Mossy. When is Owens BBQ gonna unleash Tatonka fish fry seasoning upon your followers. We are waiting lol

SerchforPerch

★★★ Legendary Member
Louisiana Fish Fry in the Blue Package.. Doesn't retain oil like the shore lunch stuff does and the cornmeal gives it a nice crispy outside.

Got a buddy that likes to crush up 5 different types of crackers, 27 different seasonings, and various cheeses - double dipped in egg and milk, etc. etc.. and by the time he's done with it, the flavor of fish has left the building..

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Louisiana Fish Fry in the Blue Package.. Doesn't retain oil like the shore lunch stuff does and the cornmeal gives it a nice crispy outside.

Got a buddy that likes to crush up 5 different types of crackers, 27 different seasonings, and various cheeses - double dipped in egg and milk, etc. etc.. and by the time he's done with it, the flavor of fish has left the building..

yep! anything wheat flour based is not for us - corn meal or corn flour is what we look for on the labels

we just bought some Louisiana Fish Fry at Butcher Block in Mandan on Saturday. Am looking forward to checking it out. Currently Zatarain's fans.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
yep! anything wheat flour based is not for us - corn meal or corn flour is what we look for on the labels

we just bought some Louisiana Fish Fry at Butcher Block in Mandan on Saturday. Am looking forward to checking it out. Currently Zatarain's fans.

You were in town?

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member

Very similar, but I use Garlic Ritz and add much of the same seasonings.....................roll fish in flour.........dip in beaten egg...........final roll in Ritz crackers.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've recently posted some some I thought may be different and work on fish. Long John Silver's batter is nirvana to me and in fact I got my very first computer virus trying to Yahoo the recipe about 15yrs ago. Found a website and SMACK. Have never tried again. The "hot chicken" batter sounds intriguing on fish to me.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
I season egg wash with garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, and salt. put fish in egg wash, stir until fish is all coated with wash. In a zip lock bag I mix 2/3 Gourmet Coating (this coating is gluten free), and 1/3 corn meal. Put fish in bag, and shake. Fry in oil until golden brown. I use a bunch of paper towels in the bottom of the pan I put the fish into after frying to absorb most of the oil.

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
10313306.jpg

Not a ton of flavor but cooks up real nice. I prefer a subtle breading.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Andys I think it called

I like Andy's as well. As others have mentioned more corn meal and less flour soaks up less oil and Andy's is mostly cornmeal. A very light breading with a mild spicy flavor. There are some other's that are good but do prefer a cornmeal based breading over a flour breading. For me most beer batter type breadings are too much breading and not enough fish. To each his own I guess.

I also like to put fried fish on a screen or` before putting on paper towels as more oil will drip off instead of on the paper towels used for serving. For me I think the temperature of the oil is very important as it seems if the oil isn't hot enough the breading will soak up more oil.

For those of you who use and egg wash, have you ever tried using just the egg whites? Read one time that the yolk is more fat than the whites so the yolk causes the fish to absorb more oil. Tried it one time and I think it's true but don't use egg washes much anymore, just a little buttermilk, so can't say for sure.

Do prefer fried fish but also sometimes feel guilty about the fried part and have cooked some pretty good fish on the grill with just some different spices and sauces. In my experience, if it sounds good, it will probably make the fish very flavorful on the grill. Experiment and I'm pretty sure you will find another way to eat fish. Especially a good way when you're only cooking for a couple or a few people. Frying a big batch fish is fun for a social gathering but too much work for my just wife and I. For me I prefer just about anything that will add some spicy flavor.

Fish whisperer

Founding Member
Founding Member
We use original shore lunch. Soak fillets in milk for a short time and then into ziplock Baggie with breading. Not the healthiest but the family all loves it and we don't get to eat fish that often. Prefer the dry breading over a batter, seems like all you taste is the batter.

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Coat fish in seasoned flour (salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder)

Dip in egg wash (instead of adding milk to egg, add franks red hot instead)

Coat in PANKO bread crumbs. Not the regular kind. Panko. I repeat. Panko. (panko absorbs less oil than reg bread crumbs and gets nice and crispy)

Fry in oil that is 350 degrees and no less. Very important. Remember when you add a bunch of fish to a hot pan the temp will drop quite a bit. I get oil up to 375 degrees and then add fish. When you need to re-up, check temp and if needed wait until you reach 350 or higher.

Eat fish with more franks red hot.

Oh and buy a thermapen. Invaluable IMO. Use all the time for meats and checking oil, etc.

I also tend to favor any cornmeal based brand of fish breading (andy's Louisiana, shorelunch cornmeal, etc.). I coat fish in franks red hot and then coat in breading. Excelente.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76