4F private land

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
so im just throwing this out there, im looking to see if anyone on here knows of a private land owner in 4F that wouldnt mind me putting up a wall tent and parking a picking up there to camp out over night, not looking for hunting land access ill just be hunting public land, just looking for something a little bit more secure to leave all of my stuff, doesnt have to be fancy just need to be able to drive up to somewhere in a pasture or wherever that is down and out of the wind hopefully and that i can drive my pick up right up to, if you guys know anyone willing to give up a half acre of their pasture for about 5 days that would be very helpful, thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

oh and it doesnt bug me any to be around cattle

Big J

Founding Member
Founding Member
Right in Bowman has some good options to camp. I'd like to believe your property would be safe there with you not around. Probably have a tough time finding a landowners place to crash at.

Since you are probably hunting the western part of the unit with your mule deer tag, staying in Baker, MT would be another option. Not sure what they have for campgrounds. Baker is a nice little town, no clue what it looks like after the tornado went through.

Other than that I'm sure you can find a cozy spot in the BLM land in the SW corner.

fullrut

Founding Member
Founding Member
so im just throwing this out there, im looking to see if anyone on here knows of a private land owner in 4F that wouldnt mind me putting up a wall tent and parking a picking up there to camp out over night, not looking for hunting land access ill just be hunting public land, just looking for something a little bit more secure to leave all of my stuff, doesnt have to be fancy just need to be able to drive up to somewhere in a pasture or wherever that is down and out of the wind hopefully and that i can drive my pick up right up to, if you guys know anyone willing to give up a half acre of their pasture for about 5 days that would be very helpful, thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

oh and it doesnt bug me any to be around cattle

Cows can be damn curious. Make sure everything is secured if you camp in a pasture. We've had them come into camp before. One year we had a stray horse. Land owner didn't know who it belonged to, but he'd hang out with us around the campsite. Couldn't get close than about ten feet from him before he'd bolt.

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
haha well i would feel more safe to have some cows snooping around my tent that someone that wants to take something from it. i dont know how much time i will be out in the western part of the unit as of right now but its all kinda up in the air, you can only learn so much from google.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
id have to 2nd big J i wouldnt have any issues throwing up a tent in baker MT or bowman both have RV parks/campgrounds. Baker is where were planning to set our up in Mid oct on our MT goat hunt i can let you know how things worked out. if you have ever driven on 85 south into buffalo SD, area theres wall tents set up all over on public land during goat season. im sure there is a few "bad apples" but in general i think your stuff would be safe.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
we camp in the badlands on grassland stuff. have for years. we have never had any issues. however generally for deer our trucks dont leave and we hike in from camp but have never had a thing stole in all the years weve camped in the ND badlands

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
we camp in the badlands on grassland stuff. have for years. we have never had any issues. however generally for deer our trucks dont leave and we hike in from camp but have never had a thing stole in all the years weve camped in the ND badlands

so im not versed well enough to the plot book, if im looking on there which color stuff are you talking about as grasslands stuff?

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
theres a key/legend on the first couple pages

- - - Updated - - -

Capture.jpg

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
honestly i would also purchase a grassland maps. i dont have the link off hand but if you google little missorui grasslands in ND yada yada yada you can purchase either the northern or southern badlands you would obviously be southern and itll have all grasslands and BLM lands on it, itll have color coded roads telling you which grasslands roads are travable and which are not.

when i hunt a new area. like i am in Montana this year. here is what my maps include: Onyxmaps premium chip, MT gazeterre ( 19.95) 3-4 counties "public lands maps" 7.99 each, MT BMA access maps.

why the paper maps: cuz scouting hunt planning, trip planning are much easier to do off paper maps.

- - - Updated - - -

contours are needed as you can find benches, drainages, hidden water, land that is hard to access via cars, are all things i look at when panning a hunt.

- - - Updated - - -

is there land that is 4-5..10 sections of public land butting up to private with little roads to access them ..then hunt it. as most people wont go more than 1 mile, hilltop. vast majority of people with climb to the first ridge glass and head back to the car.

- - - Updated - - -

you young buck need to learn to use maps:;:

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
honestly i would also purchase a grassland maps. i dont have the link off hand but if you google little missorui grasslands in ND yada yada yada you can purchase either the northern or southern badlands you would obviously be southern and itll have all grasslands and BLM lands on it, itll have color coded roads telling you which grasslands roads are travable and which are not.

when i hunt a new area. like i am in Montana this year. here is what my maps include: Onyxmaps premium chip, MT gazeterre ( 19.95) 3-4 counties "public lands maps" 7.99 each, MT BMA access maps.

why the paper maps: cuz scouting hunt planning, trip planning are much easier to do off paper maps.

- - - Updated - - -

contours are needed as you can find benches, drainages, hidden water, land that is hard to access via cars, are all things i look at when panning a hunt.

- - - Updated - - -

is there land that is 4-5..10 sections of public land butting up to private with little roads to access them ..then hunt it. as most people wont go more than 1 mile, hilltop. vast majority of people with climb to the first ridge glass and head back to the car.

- - - Updated - - -

haha! i do have the OnX hunt map for ND and have been making and printing off my own maps of the different public land areas, i think i will guy that grasslands map, that is a good idea thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

i see why i didnt see this grasslands, because there isnt any in my unit... so purchasing that map would probably be pointless for me

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
i was wondering if they went into 4f when i was typing it. i know they go to just north of marmouth but obviously not any further south.
enjoy the planning!
i sat in my basement last night kid free for an hr, beer in hand planning some nice areas to walk into for my antelope hunt in MT. its tricky as hell cuz the unit is soooooo large narrowing down a spot will be the tough part. i found an area after converging my various maps that gives me 5 sq miles, looks to be a couple stock dams in the back side of it. road only on the north, i put a few of these by it !!!!!!!! so i dont miss it. haha

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
i was wondering if they went into 4f when i was typing it. i know they go to just north of marmouth but obviously not any further south.
enjoy the planning!
i sat in my basement last night kid free for an hr, beer in hand planning some nice areas to walk into for my antelope hunt in MT. its tricky as hell cuz the unit is soooooo large narrowing down a spot will be the tough part. i found an area after converging my various maps that gives me 5 sq miles, looks to be a couple stock dams in the back side of it. road only on the north, i put a few of these by it !!!!!!!! so i dont miss it. haha

well best of luck to you! i've done lots of map searching and numbering and all sorts of google earth screen shots, i really hope i can get out there before the season starts, then i can start narrowing some stuff down, but its all a learning process... im very excited nonetheless!

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

SHHHHHHH!!!;:;badidea

Less people that use maps the better!:;:stirthepot

Big J

Founding Member
Founding Member
Minto to Marmath is quite the haul! I'll be in 4F likely the second weekend of deer season with a mule deer doe tag in hand. I'd be glad to keep an eye out for mule deer bucks while I'm out there if you'd like it happen to be out there the same time as our hunting party.

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Minto to Marmath is quite the haul! I'll be in 4F likely the second weekend of deer season with a mule deer doe tag in hand. I'd be glad to keep an eye out for mule deer bucks while I'm out there if you'd like it happen to be out there the same time as our hunting party.

well as much as i really do appreciate that i think my only weekend for success is going to be that first weekend. we are going to make it an extended stay hopefully i can get it done then because im not sure that i will be able to get back out there again! But yes if you come across something the info could be very helpful, you guys hunting public or private land? just MD doe tags for you guys? i can let you know some spots after that first weekend tho for sure

Big J

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm sure you will be able to get it done pretty easily. 4F isn't great mule deer habitat at all. Not saying you can't find a respectable buck, just most are pretty small. Depending on how picky you will be will depend on your success I'm sure, there is plenty of deer down in that area. We shot two whitetail does in 4F last year and there were plenty of those and mule deer around. We will be hunting BLM, PLOTS, State Land and possibly private this isn't posted. So nothing that is private we have permission on. We have a total of 3 mule deer doe tags.

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm sure you will be able to get it done pretty easily. 4F isn't great mule deer habitat at all. Not saying you can't find a respectable buck, just most are pretty small. Depending on how picky you will be will depend on your success I'm sure, there is plenty of deer down in that area. We shot two whitetail does in 4F last year and there were plenty of those and mule deer around. We will be hunting BLM, PLOTS, State Land and possibly private this isn't posted. So nothing that is private we have permission on. We have a total of 3 mule deer doe tags.

well ill be sure to keep my eyes open for you guys! little pocket of mules in a hidden spot not to far off the road and you will be getting a PM!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 75