243 winchester with 85 TSX for elk?

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
well if a 243 bounces off a deer how the hell do you expect it to drop an elk???

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
it's all about shot placement. a good shot with a 243 is better than a piss poor shot with a 270 or 30-06

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't know if you're asking about using it in North Dakota or out of state. If North Dakota then no because it has to be .25 caliber or larger. If no caliber restriction then I say if you limit the shot distance and are committed to only taking a good broadside shot or closer/medium range then I think you'd be fine.

Redmist

Founding Member
Founding Member
7-08 0r 260 is the smallest I would go for a small female. Both are lite kick back and allow you to go with a heaver bullet in the 140gr area.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Definitely not. Too light and small of a bullet. Can it kill an elk yes but is it ethical and a good quick kill, more than likely not and it would have to be placed perfectly to be. We have to remember as sportsmen we need to try and do a quick and ethical kill. Don't want the animals to suffer. Too many people forget this and this is one of the most important things to remember as sportsmen!

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Only caliber I have between 6mm and 308 is 7mm rem mag, which I suppose I could load down, but not sure if Ill have time to work a new load between now and then...

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Only caliber I have between 6mm and 308 is 7mm rem mag, which I suppose I could load down, but not sure if Ill have time to work a new load between now and then...

If you have 308 maybe look at the reduced recoil loads from remington. same for the 7mm. granted its factory ammo but its buy a few boxes, sight in and hunt

if new gun is possible id look hard at 7-08 heck of a good cartridge with light recoil

Last edited:

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
7mm-08 in a youth model would be my go-to in this case. That's what put my mom's cow elk down two years ago, and I loaded up 140 grain accubonds for that. My sister and wife have used the same gun since then for deer and loved the low recoil and knockdown power.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
.270 minimum. I personally feel .243 is light for deer. A lot of wounded deer running around during deer season because they were shot with a smaller caliber. Yeah "if you hit them right you can kill them with a .22", yada yada yada. Well a inexperience hunter should be using a larger caliber because they do not have the "EXPERIENCE" in harvesting an animal. A few inches off is the difference between a recovered animal and coyote bait.

I shoot a 300 win mag. You put a muzzle break on a .300 and the recoil will be like a 243. Buddy has a 7RUM with a break on it and it kicks like a 22-250. Trade off is noise, make sure to shoot with ear plugs. My 300mag had a muzzle break on it and I went out elk hunting and damaged my ears really bad (over 50% damage to my left ear, permanent tinnitus). Got home and took it off. I'll take the recoil over being deaf. Now I always shoot with ear plugs while out hunting.

Just my $.02

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I could have her try my Rock River 308 with a silencer once I get it. Ive got some 110TTSX or 130TSX that would probably do ok on elk also... Ive never hunted elk in MT before, we would be in the Great Falls area. Any idea how long of shots to expect?

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
sounds like you need to go shopping...I hate when I have an excuse to buy a gun

We are talking about Lycan here. Unless he can whittle it out of some free oak he scored on a street corner or mind wrestle you into some sort of discount group buy from a third world country, I am doubting it will happen.;)

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Since TX doesn't have free ranging elk, its in an some sort of enclosure. I'd think a 243 would be legal since its private animal.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
We are talking about Lycan here. Unless he can whittle it out of some free oak he scored on a street corner or mind wrestle you into some sort of discount group buy from a third world country, I am doubting it will happen.;)

if he can get some kind of 3rd world group buy on youth/woman size 7mm-08 i might jump in on that. the wife needs a rifle so she leaves my 270 alone

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
what does that rock river weigh vs. the 7mm? If its comparable and she hasnt shot alot of rifles -then go with the rock. 150min imo. I know you guys laugh -- but my brother came about "" close to losing a royal because he used a 150grn cheap bullet and it shattered on impact on the shoulder and just exposed a bit of skin and the elk ducked back in to the woods -- luckly he came out for a split second and he was able to get em in the ribs - heart shot - when he came out he didnt looked touched by the at 150 shot out of an 06. Otherwise it would of been a long night in the idaho woods looking for that sob.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member

Thread - Steel Bar stock
Lycanthrope

"Does anyone have any leads on 416 stainless bar stock? I want a new rifle and am thinking i could make my own barrel using my converted wood lathe and my dewalt"

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 118
  • This month: 111
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 70