Any Good outboar mechanics in Minot?

E-Tech

I am having issues with my 1989 75hp Mariner. I have a feeling it may be beyond my abilities to diagnose/fix as I am new to 2 stroke motors.

I will probably end up having a mechanic take a look so I can get back to fishing before the cold weather hits!

Any info on Minot outboard mechanics would be appreciated.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always took my old 2 stroke to Carey at 6 mile down by Garrison. He does good work

E-Tech

It has run fine the last 2 months. Then on my last trip it was hard to start at the dock and smoked a little.
If I choke and run at fast idle it runs but when you try to put it in gear it dies.

If I work quickly I can put it in gear and give it gas to keep it running. Once in gear with a little gas it will run fine. It gets up on plane and will achieve my normal max speed.

I watched the carbs while pumping the primer bulb. Right before it gets hard gas comes out the throat of the bottom carb. I dropped the float bowl on that carb, held the float up with my finger and pumped the bulb. No fuel comes out in the float bowl area but after a while it starts coming out of the carb throat again.

I also noticed the fuel drains out of the filter fairly quickly so I probably need to replace the primer bulb also.

E-Tech

Thanks eyexer.
Guess its time to see what a mechanic costs compared to carb rebuild kits.
I will have to get a manual and see if I think I can handle messing with the carbs. I'm an electronics guy, not much for mechanic work!

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
North Country Marine in Garrison. Only place I have taken my boat! They are busy though as are most places, expect to not use it for awhile.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jeff at jeffs sport shop in Minot or sports specialities.

onpoint!

Established Member
+1 for Jeff's. He closed the sports shop on south side, but does wrenching out of his garage/shop. He's listed in the book, I found him on the 'net.

DerHornen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I never had anyone work on my boat in Minot when I lived there, so I don't have reviews of anyone up there. My dad and I have both had older 2-strokes worked on at Bayside Marine in Riverdale and have been happy with the service. Have heard good things about 6-mile and North Country Marine as well.

E-Tech

Thanks everyone for the advice and recommendations.
Time to make some calls and see who can get to it before winter!

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks eyexer.
Guess its time to see what a mechanic costs compared to carb rebuild kits.
I will have to get a manual and see if I think I can handle messing with the carbs. I'm an electronics guy, not much for mechanic work!
you won't need kits necessarily, just tear it all down and go through every jet and orifice with a can of carb cleaner. you'll need a needle or pin to clean out the tiny jets.

E-Tech

Sounds easy enough. Guess if I can get the carb off with minimum difficulty I will give it a try.
Worse case scenario I fail miserably and have to take it to a mechanic with a bag of shame containing all the parts I took off!

E-Tech

Figured I better finish off this post with what fixed the problem.

After cleaning the carbs the problem was still the same. When I opened up the fuel pump the two check valves were shot. So I decided to get a new pump.

After installing the new pump it now runs great. Idles better than it has since I bought it!

While I was at it I replaced the primer bulb, fuel filter and most of the fuel lines.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
way to dive in. this shit aint that complicated. someone can always bail you out if needed. :;:thumbsup

E-Tech

Thanks Eyexer. You helped motivate me to tear into it. And you were right, not that complicated.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67