Walmart woes

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have to vent just a bit. The cash savings from Walmart might seem alright in the beginning, but I'm tired of dealing with that place. Bought two new batteries this spring. One already took a dump. Upon bringing the dead one back, I was told I was out of the warranty timeline. It's been 4 months since the purchase date, mind you. I buy one new battery as a replacement. As I'm about to install it, I notice a giant dent in the case where someone dropped it. So, back to Walmart this morning for yet another replacement. When these batteries fail, I'm driving to fleet farm and buying their agm's. F'n Walmart.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Aren't they 18 month on the marine and 24 month on the maxx?

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep. I've found dealing between to two walmarts to be easier than just picking one. If one doesn't give me the answer, I head to the other one.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
tried to return the dented battery this morning. "sorry, the lady is going to be gone for 5-10 minutes but you can carry this up to the front of the store if you want." Just straight ineptitude. I wish we had a costco.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
What I have learned in my Walmart experiences is you need to profile…it might take a bit longer but find the “right” person to talk to, 9 times out of 10 (at least around here) if the person doesn’t look like they speak English they probably don’t…Wal-Mart is actually really really good when it comes to returns and exchanges…you just did to find the one employee with the GED or better to help you…

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have to vent just a bit. The cash savings from Walmart might seem alright in the beginning, but I'm tired of dealing with that place. Bought two new batteries this spring. One already took a dump. Upon bringing the dead one back, I was told I was out of the warranty timeline. It's been 4 months since the purchase date, mind you. I buy one new battery as a replacement. As I'm about to install it, I notice a giant dent in the case where someone dropped it. So, back to Walmart this morning for yet another replacement. When these batteries fail, I'm driving to fleet farm and buying their agm's. F'n Walmart.

agm... or gel? (the battery chosen 9:1 by gnarly old chemists )

watch for these to go on sale
http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/road-runner-gel-ace-marine-battery-36-mo-550-cca/0000000221525

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
You are, one of the "People of Walmart".

I shouldn't tease. In college I worked at Menards. People complained and complained, but that store is ALWAYS full.

I think the secret to these "big box" stores is, they are great as long as you know what you need, and never need any service or help. If you need more than "In which aisle can I find the lightbulbs?", you're sunk. Not always, but more than 50% of the time...

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
The best thing about Walmart is that Sam's is next door.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
When it comes right down to it, I really don't think wally world wants to deal with stuff that carries warranty, the paperwork and the fact that most people working there are NOT smart enough to deal and understand what is actually going down or helpful. I have bought batteries long ago at the pile of hump store, and not too impressed. I now buy my auto batteries from a parts store, yes pay more, but at least there counter person will honor a warranty if its due...none of the shaggy run around horseshit you see elsewhere.

AND...punch out those date circles on the battery if they don't do it for you!! A 48 month battery better damn well last 48 months

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
just a run of the mill lead-acid battery. I think they run $89. I missed out on the fleet farm ones when they went on sale last spring. Next set will be agm's.

I am trying to convince you to buy the superior gels. I apparently failed.

- - - Updated - - -

research gels vs agm

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gnarly old chemist have deep pockets, it's what makes them Gnarly.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I learned all I need to know about the "cost" of quality gear from these guys back in the day....

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 70