water bottle melted my boat's carpet

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
that's right - of all the rotten luck.

it was a dead calm sunny day this Saturday and a plastic bottle of water worked like a magnifying glass and melted some streaks in my carpet
2016-08-21 18.21.08.jpg

after discovery I held the bottle up to some vinyl to see how it focused the sunlight

2016-08-21 18.21.42.jpg

has anyone else had this happen? :mad:

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The ProV has no carpet, love it this way.
I did have indoor outdoor carpet at my old place on our patio, this same thing happened.

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's what you get for having water in your boat...wouldn't happen with beer. :cool:

All seriousness that does suck and can't say I've ever seen or heard of that happening before. It must of been perfect conditions. I've seen on some survival shows them trying to start a fire with a bottle of water, can't remember if it worked.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did that bottle have the flimsy thin plastic or thick? if it was thin, and it got hot like that, I wouldn't drink the water in it...

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
The ProV has no carpet, love it this way.
I did have indoor outdoor carpet at my old place on our patio, this same thing happened.

I am considering converting part of my boat floor to vinyl. Can anybody recommend a vendor/brand for "the best" vinyl they make?

- - - Updated - - -

Did that bottle have the flimsy thin plastic or thick? if it was thin, and it got hot like that, I wouldn't drink the water in it...

it was one of those super thin very clear bottles a guy can crumple into golfball size when it's empty.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
holy shit!

I had picked up the bottle of water earlier prior to us noticing the burn maybe an hour later

took us a while to figure out what happened - smoking, kids playing with magnifying glasses, fireworks, etc. were bandied about trying to solve the mystery

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
you got yelled at for your cigars again didnt you...

- - - Updated - - -

when im old enough im totally gonna sport the cigar in corner of mouth look.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha ha ha.. I have been sans cigar for a while now

my new hobby has me not craving such things - which kind worries me

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Melt this bitch down!;:;rofl.....................................:;:.:;:howdyThat would suck big time. Never wuda thunk that could happen.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
History repeating itself, The old timers had this problem when they carried water in canning jars and gallon hilex bottles, According to them lots of fires were started this way/ Someone in our neighborhood supposedly burned up a Model A truck. By the time I came along many years later they had all learned their lesson so when ever I got the notion to put water in a glass jar I got a lecture.

- - - Updated - - -

Usually after that lecture came the one about never a put farmers match in your bib overall pocket if you have change in there .

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 56