Limb saws

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know where it went to, but Vollmer had article on here about tricking out a tree stand. Many of us have to be a little inventive at times. I thought I would start something where we all share something that others may find useful. This will not make sense for a moment until I can get on my phone and download the pics.

I looked at those Hooyman saw. They are $90 and take up room in a pack. However, everyone of us when we get in a tree stand want to get ride of a few branches. One day I was rigging my hiking stick to kill rattle snakes. It had a ball on top the hiking stick when removed exposed a 1/4 X 20 bolt to attach a camera to steady pictures. I had bought a new head for my tripod that had a 3/8 inch bolt, so I had to purchase a 1/4 to 3/8 adapter at Bob's photo in Bismarck. I cut off the head of a number 4 wood and epoxied the 3/8 adapter into the head. It then easily screwed onto my hiking stick. Tap the snake to tick him off and when he raises up the number 4 takes his head right off.

So then I was out sawing a tree limb one day and standing on my tip toes. It hit me I could adapt my cheap $9 Sierra Saw. I drilled a hold about two sizes smaller than the 3/8 adapter. Then I put a nut 1/4 inch down on a 1/4 inch bolt and threaded the adapter onto the bolt. The nut acts as a stop for the adapter. This works as a handle so you can heat the adapter with a lighter. Once it's nice and hot screw it into the hole at the bottom of the Sierra Saw and let it cool. Screw it onto your hiking stick and you can easily reach and cut limbs at 12 feet off the ground, or from your stand. Now I will attach the pics. 20160821_200224.jpg20151113_150753.jpg

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
12ga works for those hard to reach places, the deer might come back someday.:;:smokin

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a saw at lowes for around $20. Works well during preseason, but doesn't pack well. If I get somewhere and realize I need a saw to open a shooting lane, I'm not prepared enough. Good idea on the snake club though. I need to get a tripod for my camera one of these days.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Very cool idea.

What about creating a "DIY" category to showcase all the homemade products?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80