Shore fishing for salmon on Sakakawea.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am not set up to fish salmon from my boat, so I'm looking for a few answers from you guys/gals. 1. When do you typically start to shore fish for them? 2. What type of fishing equipment, i.e. what type rod, and reel, line weight, and lures do you use? 3. General area you shore fish from? Thanks!

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im probably not right but i think they start trying after labor day. spoons, in line spinners, cranks. I have no idea if live bait or smelt rigs would be worth a try.
from the few ive tangled with in the tailrace you want a fairly strong rod. med/med heavy and a good superline.

Ill be going down this fall armed with everything from little cleos, daredevils, mepps, raps, and ill probably watch a 7 year old with a zebco catch one 10 feet away from me on a worm and a bobber knowing my luck this year

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
if your determined you can catch them now without down riggers. I run Dipsey divers or 8oz snap weights and can get down close to 100ft. As far as shore fishing I've caught them anywhere from rodeo Bay along the damn to Government Bay. Not sure if the game and fish stalking them only in government the last few years will make the state park side slower. When they start to show up shallow pulling reef runners can be fun. Pick up pig eyes aswell as salmon.

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
The magnum dipsy' will run 100', we had better success off of them over the riggers actually, problem being is it is busy now, wouldn't dare run them myself anymore, way too many guys feeling the need to cross right behind the boat as close as your prop wash. Had one guy tell me it was the third time in a day he tangled with other boats, hmmm wonder what the common denominator there was?? Shore fishing gets going good in September and pretty much full tilt around duck opener. I love the fight so we've always just used our normal 6 1/2' medium rods with larger capacity reels that'll hold 150-200 yards of 12# mono, our best go to was a simple fire tiger floating or jointed rapala

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Make sure your hooks are SHARP. I have been outfished by kids throwing a ratty white twister jig, a "common" Rebel Crawdad, and nightcrawers/eggsacs under a float. These fish when shallow are beyond fickle. Start with a silver spoon. A silver Rapala won't work. Sometimes a black/silver Rapala is the only thing that works.

Start with a silver spoon. This is the only situation I'll give a lot of credence to color. I beat the bastards one day with a shallow running blaze orange Reef Runner.

Last edited:

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heard these work best
image.jpg

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Right around September 10 is my starting point usually. Big spoons, long shallow diving cranks, big Mepps sometimes. Usually just the biggest most obnoxious thing in my tackle box at the time. Areas to try include Government Bay, near the face of the dam, the State Park near Riverdale, etc.

300sktr

Established Member
Have had good luck from shore on the east side of the spillway. You can park on north side of road on east end of spillway and walk down to sandy shore line. When I was there I would us a silver rattle trap and cast out as far as you can. Reel in at a steady pace and hold on when they hit. Had best luck later evening and into dark. Would pick up a few walleyes and saugers mixed in. Also saw guys throwing silver or gold spoons or reefrunners and doing well. You can also go to west side by intake house and fish off the rocks. They are a blast when you do hook into them.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
One thing to keep in mind is the same time that is good from shore specialty equipment for the boat is no longer necessary either. Just go with your boat and longline some lures back and troll around the usual areas.

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
One thing to keep in mind is the same time that is good from shore specialty equipment for the boat is no longer necessary either. Just go with your boat and longline some lures back and troll around the usual areas.

no offense but what I've seen with the amount of boats up running riggers... Once long lining would work I'll park the boat and shore fish, it's gonna be ugly, practice your knot tying and tongue biting

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anybody ever tried fly fishing for these things? Very tempted to go throw some egg patterns or streamers this fall.

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn't throw eggs. A big white streamer would probably work as well as anything. Have to think a big white sculpzilla or sex dungeon ought to do the job. Tie it with a little crystal flash or some flashabou and it might be even better.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've seen a belly boater in the State Park a couple times whipping what looked to be a 7wt. I actually quit fishing for a while to watch. He knew what the hell he was doing; I'll say that! Looked like he was keeping 100ft of line in the air. I never saw him catch anything. I suspect listening to that line in the air is very hypnotic and satisfying.

Last edited:

Lostlunker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anybody ever tried fly fishing for these things? Very tempted to go throw some egg patterns or streamers this fall.

I used to fly fish in my float tube for Salmon back when they used to put the ladder in up at Scoria Bay. We used to have ok luck using 8 weight rod with fluorescent red and yellow streamers. Wasn't fast and furious but we would catch 3 or 4 between 2 of us in a few hours. They pull you around pretty good in a float tube. Best time for us was right before the sun came up.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
no offense but what I've seen with the amount of boats up running riggers... Once long lining would work I'll park the boat and shore fish, it's gonna be ugly, practice your knot tying and tongue biting

Now that I certainly can't disagree with and frustration levels could definitely make shore fishing more relaxing. He'll with the way this fall is shaping up might be interesting to get a few of us up there some day to do a little NDA fishing party. I haven't targeted salmon in Sak in nearly 20 years but am definitely going to give it a try again this fall. With a group the guys with experience could show the way to first timers and if the fishing sucks at least the lies would be entertaining.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
That would be so much fun. They take off like a rocket as it is on light tackle. With a fly rod, you'd be in for a real battle.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
So, these salmon change the color of their meat that quickly between August and October, from pink to dark brown/black?

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
My line counter rod slammed back so hard, I thought I was snagged. Then I had to reverse to get it out of the holder. Awesome fish and honestly, my first salmon ever.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 139
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 123
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80