Veteran Hard-Hunting Wirehair FREE to Good Home

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think I need to tell you a bit about both this dog and where he's coming from to truly appreciate what's up for grabs.

Six years ago, I stumbled across a local German wirehaired pointer breeder. He was a gruff, loud guy who laughed a lot and liked to slap your back. Out of a 13-dog litter there were four dogs left. I picked the lone liver-and-roan pup out of the bunch, and my good friend grabbed one of the solid livers.

Remy turned my world upside down in the best way possible. We learned together as I attempted to train my first bird dog, and we've enjoyed training, testing to the highest level of NAVHDA, as well as successful seasons afield since he was just a few months old. I can't even count how many birds I've seen killed and retrieved over him. Plus, amazing family dogs.

In fact, of this litter, three dogs (mine, my friend's and one other) received Versatile Champion titles through NAVHDA. The breeder received a VC Breeder's Award because of it. No easy feat. In fact, I can't think of another GWP breeder with such a distinction.

So you can see the kind of caliber dogs out of this litter.

Well, the breeder actually kept one of the males from that litter. His hopes were to train and test him and then sell him as a started dog.

I'm not sure where the wheels came off, but he'll tell you he never really got along with Copper. I think it's the fact their personalities were too much alike.

Early this year, my breeder found out he has cancer. The long and the short of it is, due to complications, he may never be able to see properly again. It's very likely that his work/driving/hunting life is over or, at the bare minimum, may take years to come back. He has several dogs that he can no longer take care of completely.

One such dog that deserves a good, loving, hard-hunting home is Copper.

I helped force fetch Copper in 2014. We went through the normal barbaric steps that break most dogs, but Copper would take whatever we dished out and refuse to do any work. My breeder gave up.

But I had a hunch.

I completely eliminated any pressure, and praised the bejeezus out of him. This goes against almost everything I'd been taught for force fetching a dog. Copper improved almost overnight. I eventually got to the point where I could give him some pressure to drive the point across, but despite being very hard-headed, he's a dog that doesn't need much but praise and a solid "atta boy."

He's also a hunting FOOL. Last year, a good friend of my breeder's took him hunting in four states, including Montana and Texas, for every upland bird imaginable. He pointed and retrieved pheasants, sharptails, huns, quail and sage grouse, and I have no doubt he'd be a great duck dog, too.

I'm not going to tell you that Copper is going to seamlessly join your family and it will be all sunshine and roses. This is a six-year-old dog, mind you. He's over the hill in dog world, but I'm sure he has many good hunting seasons left in him.

When I was training him, he wanted to pick a fight with my Remy in the worst way possible. I had to keep them separated. However, he seems find with my younger dog and is ok with females.

He's not house broke. This might be a big negative for some folks, but Copper has lived his entire life outside in a kennel run. Might not be a big deal for some people, but just putting it out there. I have a feeling he'd be a quit study, however.

He CRAVES attention. He will glue himself to the side of your leg and sit there as long as you pet him. I have a feeling he would create a very strong bond in a short period of time with someone who gave him the attention and affection he wants.

And I can guarantee that with a bit of brush-up obedience work and taking the time to get acquainted, you'd be able to kill a bunch of birds over him this fall. I'm 100 percent positive in that statement.

Anyway, below is a picture from 2014. He was whelped 5/21/10 (my birthday). Copper is a bit heavier and grayer now, so he could use a bit of exercise and watching his food intake.

If you'd like to know any more information, PM me or give me a call: 612-385-2901.

I'd take him myself, but with two dogs and two kids under 3, we're at capacity. Which is unfortunate. Because both my wife and I have a real soft spot for Copper.

Thanks!!

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wish but already have 3 dogs. I am amazed you are only six and have kids that is amazing. 5/21/16 your. Birthday

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 75