baitcasters

WLYHNTR

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know there's already a thread on go to reels but most of the ones guys are bringing up are spinning reels. What are your guys preferences on baitcasters? Brand? Best bang for your buck.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have two Garcia Speed Kings and a Shimano Bantam Curado going strong since '94.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
F and S does annual testing. I wouldn't mind trying a 13 reel. I thought they only made rods. http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/fishing/2016/04/9-best-new-spinning-and-casting-reels. To be real honest most aspects of walleye fishing except snags is easy for a reel. If I was a reel and I had a choice of my owner being a nd resident vs some state in the south I would choose nd as I know my use would be light and I would live a long time. I would suggest pick out a reel that is in that 120 range and call it good. I find myself buying quantum for the flipping switch. Drag sucks on them but they work great for bottom bouncing. All bait casters require the drag to be undone when u store them. U will find the more expensive ones habe a better drag system. When u fish the lakes we do u use the heavy braid the worry isn't the fish snapping the line it's more so ripping it's lip which I had a 23 do last weekend on a cheap reel. Keep the drag so it doesn't compress and yourngood

- - - Updated - - -

Shimano. Very smooth casting and drag not the furthest casting last forever i still have a bantum from 80s

Diawa always trYing something new. Nice reels. I own a cheapo but back in the bass days they were bulk of my reels. Look for deals on cabelas reels some are dAiwa made

Bass pro cabelas they have phlueger make alot of their reels. Korean made good stuff. I have had issues with the casting switch sticking on some of these

Lewes they used to be solid don't own anymore can't say on new ones

Quantum cheap stuff but they have a Flippin switch for bottom bouncers. They work for the price throw em away if u don't like

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm a "bass guy" and I hate a effing "flipping switch". My thumb is a flipping switch: Weird, singular, queer. unusual and ironic.

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm a "bass guy" and I hate a effing "flipping switch". My thumb is a flipping switch: Weird, singular, queer. unusual and ironic.
Another question here , not hurtful just a question . In that last sentence are we talking about you or a flipping switch ? Inquiring minds want to know !

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
The flipping switch.

th

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like round reels for trolling due to extra line capacity. I like low profile for casting due to lighter weight, better balance, and generally higher retrieve rate.

Shimano Calcutta for trolling. Shimano Curado or Chronarch B for casting.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member

I never used them bass fishing --- use em when you have your deadstick in the holder. For example last weekend -- we did the main lake old shoreline - your up and down looking for fish -- reaching over with my index finger and holding the release down for a few seconds vs. pushing the release and then having to reel back up is not only a time saver but with a big bouncer and more importantly your not nearly releasing as much line creating a potential to snag up. Snags = wasted time.

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member
I'm typically a Shimano guy. All my spinning reels are Shimano. I got a smoking deal on a Pflueger Patriarch casting reel and I love that thing. The brake system is awesome and drag is smooth. Managed to snag it for $100, with I could have gotten a couple more at that price.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lews is really come back strong. I only own 1 currently and I think it was about $100-120 when I got it 5-6yrs ago. Have looked at a lot of their other models form a little cheaper to the more expensive and like them all. easy dial tension, good mag brake (I almost never use it though) and nice smooth reel and drag.
I have a quantum with a flipping switch and never use it for flipping just to adjust cranks and bouncers. it is a nice reel but much harder to tune for a lure, was quit a bit more money, and really I can do without the switch.
Here is a pretty decent review and at $80 the Laser MG looks pretty enticing
http://www.scout.com/outdoors/wired2fish/story/1696611-lew-s-laser-mg-speed-spool-mcs-review

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Flipping switch comes into it's own when running two rods and both hands are holding the rods while running the electric up front
or holding the rod and trolling while you steer. It enables you to go with a one hand operation and not constantly have to use the other hand to engage the reel when you are adjusting how much line to let out. If I am casting my bait caster or pitching for bass etc. then I don't use the flipping switch

it's getting very hard to find flipping switch bait casters anymore. Bummer

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I never used them bass fishing --- use em when you have your deadstick in the holder. For example last weekend -- we did the main lake old shoreline - your up and down looking for fish -- reaching over with my index finger and holding the release down for a few seconds vs. pushing the release and then having to reel back up is not only a time saver but with a big bouncer and more importantly your not nearly releasing as much line creating a potential to snag up. Snags = wasted time.

Proves my "irony". This deal was meant for a vertical fall against a cypress tree or in weed pockets.

Last edited:

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shimano Tekotas are my go to bait caster. Diawa Sealine line counters on trolling rods. I do have a few Abu Garcia Silvermax and Blackmax reels for loaner rods for people I take out fishing (ie kids, wife, friends, etc). I also like the Quantum Energy PT on my Winnipeg ice rod that I have fallen in love with for hard water.

sig357

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am a huge fan of baitcasters. On the market for a new as we speak. Anyone ever try a scheels brand at all. I have a one made by browning from about 20 years ago. It has been threw the ringer and still works just as good as when i first bought. Still on the original rod. As far as the flipper switch. I actually enjoy mine for walleye fishing. When I am getting a hit i will hit it for a second allowing the fish a little slack when pulling it out of the rod holder and can set the hook with out having to crank the reel at all. Just my thoughts though. I can see where casting it could piss a guy off though.

Founding Member
Founding Member
I probably have 10-12 of them just for these reasons. Been using them for probably 15 years I suppose.
Svn chill out. #$%^&>

Flipping switch comes into it's own when running two rods and both hands are holding the rods running the electric up front
or holding the rod and trolling while you steer. It enables you to go with a one hand operation and not constantly have to use the other hand to engage the reel when you are adjusting how much line to let out. If I am casting my bait caster or pitching for bass etc. then I don't use the flipping switch

it's getting very hard to find flipping switch bait casters anymore. Bummer

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry. Didn't mean to read aggressive. I'm chill Home Boy. Word.

- - - Updated - - -

What I posted about BCs is real with Rem Oil and dunkings. 1994. Weird. Have reels "In box" without instant anti-reverse. This was a major advancement along with braid.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good lord things were good at the advent of instant anti-reverse and Spyder Wire. Holy hell--right through the head with a freaking "flick"... Never have broke a rod due to this combo. Broke a few by retardation; still use an AllStar from the day...If you want some fun, go back to a "slap" reel and mono. I don't know how anybody hooked a effing thing.

As y'all know I'm now a PowerPro Guy. Last I checked it was more economical. I love braid.

th

- - - Updated - - -

Sadly lost a few before I learned the Double Palomar. "Double" is unnecessary. Used to tie a Trilene and secure with superglue. Dumbass.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have 4 Tekota line counter reels with fireline for trolling cranks.. Flawless so far. Went through a few different brands but not the sealines. The counter and drag is the best I have seen. I gave my old ones to the neighbor. He hates em too:cool:

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe I'll have to Takota up before next summer.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75