Dove Opener!!!

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
What do you guys look for in a "hot spot"? I've never managed to find a spot with enough birds to make it worth while.

Standing corn or a cut wheat field with water near by?

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cut canola, a few dead trees and water.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
anyone ever get a bit leery about running their dogs in cut canola? i've never had problems. but, that shit looks like an impaling waiting to happen.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any good grilling recipes would be appreciated, haven't shot any in many years except last year when the kids wanted to blow the dust out of their shotguns. I told them they are eating every one of them and they did but I didn't think they were all that tasty. I'm sure I overcooked them so if anyone has any tactics for making a meal out them I'm all ears.

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
i found myself a new hot spot for my evening spot this year! pretty excited about that, and yes look for canola thats where you will get on birds, wheat fields work too dont over look them but those doves sure love themselves some canola

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
de-breast, split, fill with jalepeno and cream cheese, wrap with bacon, put on grill. Crack your favorite beverage and enjoy one of nature's tastiest bounties. By the way, i've never heard of canola before. Is that what you easterners call any power line paralleling a gravel road?

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
my favorite dove spot is find a country cemetary that has a good adjoining field... then look at the fence that surrounds it... usually loaded with birds... then you just walk circles shooting at them as they zing past... and when you run out of shells go wire up a couple decoys to said fence and by the time you get back from town with more shells the fence is really loaded up

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Plan on taking the boy out somewhere after work this weekend. Have had good luck around water when it is hot. It is worth taking a couple extra minutes and pluck the birds and grill whole. DirtyMikes method is good too. House of Tsang Bangcock Padang Sauce is awesone on grilled dove. Biggest thing is to not overcook them, medium at most. The hearts are tasty too.

- - - Updated - - -

Having several gunners helps too, keep them moving.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm only half kidding as that's how I like to get them as a kid. When I told my Father in Law (Lineman), he wasn't too impressed. I figured I'd give the field thing a try. He has a bunch of decoys and a couple mojo's so maybe I'll let Wrigley tangle with some birdies.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was in the process of posting a canola pic when it smacked me.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll be out first thing in the morning. Mojo tree is all put together and ready to go.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
We must have had a hell of a dove hatch this year i have never seen so many down here

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wanna get me one of them collared doves this year. I hear'em callin' all the time, but when huntin' season rolls around they make themselves scarce or move to town.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wanna get me one of them collared doves this year. I hear'em callin' all the time, but when huntin' season rolls around they make themselves scarce or move to town.

Yeah, I think they like the urban areas most of all.

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
I took friday off. Figured I will get out and see what is hanging around my neck of the woods

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67