The Lucky 8

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess we will have a season!

Literally, I wonder who will hit the lottery today. This would surely throw off my fall plans. A guy can dream..........And oh ya, "lottery in progress!"

"[h=3]Sept. 1, 2016[/h]
Game and Fish Allocates Eight Bighorn Sheep Licenses
The State Game and Fish Department is allocating eight bighorn sheep licenses for the 2016 hunting season, based on data collected from a recently completed summer population survey.​
Two licenses are available in Unit B1, two in B3 and three in B4. In addition, one license as authorized under North Dakota Century Code was auctioned in March by the Midwest Chapter of the Wild Sheep Foundation, from which all proceeds are used to enhance bighorn sheep management in North Dakota.​
Game and Fish Department wildlife chief Jeb Williams said the bighorn population hasn’t had any recent setbacks this summer from bacterial pneumonia, which prompted Game and Fish to close the hunting season in 2015.​
“There are currently good numbers of mature rams on the landscape, and we are going to take advantage of providing as much hunter opportunity as possible with the situation that we have,” Williams said. “We feel good that we are able to provide this opportunity as impacts from the die-off have lessened substantially since 2014,but it is also very unpredictable.”​
Big game biologist Brett Wiedmann said license numbers are determined by assessing the age structure and total number of rams in the population. The July-August survey showed a minimum of 103 rams in the badlands, an increase of 18 percent from 2015.​
“Overall, we are very encouraged by the results of the summer survey,” Wiedmann said. “In fact, the ram count was the highest on record.”​
Wiedmann said the annual survey results for ewes and lambs would not be completed until next spring. Biologists count and classify all bighorn sheep in late summer, and then recount lambs the following March, as they approach one year of age, to determine recruitment.​
Game and Fish announced in February that the status of the bighorn sheep hunting season would be determined after completion of the summer population survey. Now that the survey is complete and total licenses are determined for each unit, the bighorn lottery will run and successful applicants will be contacted to select a hunting unit by Sept. 6.​
Prospective hunters were required to apply for a bighorn license earlier this year on the bighorn sheep, moose and elk application. A total of 10,380 people applied for a bighorn sheep license."​

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sweet that gives me a 1 in 10373 chance to get one!! ;:;rofl A couple ?s 1. How do they do the (pick the unit) after they draw? Put everyone's name in a hat and the first name out gets to pick the unit they want? :;:huh 2. What unit would you pick if you get a tag? My unit will be B4!! :;:rockit

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The magnifacent seven rides again. I got no chance in hell anyways, you can have my tag.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got my lucky 8 the other night~Sorry I had too.
lucky 8.jpglucky 8.jpg

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think I would go B4 as well, but thats just because I've heard thats where the most Rams are at. I think gnf is pretty involved with the season so I am sure they will point anyone in the right direction.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im surprised they didnt bring in another truckload of lions to help keep the sheep population in check...

3tt3v

Founding Member
Founding Member
My co-worker just was informed today he drew. Already making plans. Very happy for him. (A little envious also) I got a kick of how he went from calm to almost shaking by the time he was off the phone with the Game and Fish.

Big J

Founding Member
Founding Member
Someone is fibbing you.

My co-worker just was informed today he drew. Already making plans. Very happy for him. (A little envious also) I got a kick of how he went from calm to almost shaking by the time he was off the phone with the Game and Fish.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Surprised they are issueing 8, after having the season closed and many previous years of only 4-6 permits. Must be a few old rams walking around.

3tt3v

Founding Member
Founding Member
Someone is fibbing you.

I guess sitting in the same room with him as he was on the phone with Bret from the game and fish is probably just fibbing. B4 is the unit he chose. Great luck to him.

Big J

Founding Member
Founding Member
So since I didn't get a call prior to them releasing the drawing stats next Tuesday means I didn't draw a tag?

I guess sitting in the same room with him as he was on the phone with Bret from the game and fish is probably just fibbing. B4 is the unit he chose. Great luck to him.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 109
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66