A Public Land outside ND reminder

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I grew up hunting in Blue Plate land (please don't hate me). Then at the turn of the new millennium, my uncles took me on my very first duck hunt, which happened to be in North Dakota. I was in eighth grade. Talk about setting the bar high! It's the main reason I applied at UND (actually, the only place I applied) and never looked back. F living somewhere else.

That said, I did hunt my darnedest in 'Sota through high school. I still have nightmares about the public land there. Sky busting. Horrible, disgruntled hunters. Scary combat warfare situations. All to shoot a spoonies or teal.

It was nuts, but it's all we had.

I was putzing on the YouTube and stumbled on this guy's channel. This video is, in a nutshell, what I remember about public land hunting outside of North Dakota. Random dogs showing up. Guys setting up after shooting time. Guys setting up 75 yards downwind. Sky busting. And on and on. You gotta give it to them for not completely boiling over. But regardless, I found it entertaining.

And with that I offer up a little prayer: Please, Lord, don't let this happen to Nodak.

fnznfwl

Founding Member
Founding Member
$100 says these guys hunt ND as much as possible.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hunted down on Carlyle Lake in Illinois bake in 03. We showed up at the ramp at midnight and we're boat 11 into the water. Can't hunt much of the lake due to it being a refuge so guys set up on the small winding river that flows into the lake. The rule of thumb was one spread every 75 yards so if you were on a tight bend in the river you very likely had a group sitting back to back with you. Any duck below 100 yards was going to get shot at like crazy. The ducks knew the refuge line extremely well and a duck cruising down the lake only feet off the water would pull up so hard at the boundry it looked like they were being shot at. It was nothing short of bat shit crazy!

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member
A big part of the problem here in SD, is that it's difficult to get permission to private land since everything is considered posted. Plus you add in that there are way more people charging guys to hunt and you have a large problem with much less land available to hunt for the average person, especially the farther east you get. I miss ND laws regarding land has to be posted or a person can hunt it, opens up so much more land.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ashamed to say but I've watched that video before. The itch is super strong so I've been watching a lot of youtube hunting vids after work, including a few of his. He reminds me of a few idiots I know.

Boats = out of state hunter

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
In Ohio, you cannot tie off to the bank, island, sand bar or anchor, wade, etc... a creek or river without written permission from the landowner. The stream bottom is considered to be the adjoining owners property, to the middle of the stream or entire width depending if they owned land on both banks. Public marshes were extra special, most days you had to act the thug to protect your little slice of the pie. A guy learned to do things different and find oddball spots or you pretty much went on an armed neature walk. Little creeks, some only a couple feet wide that had field tiles flowing water into them would stay open while other stuff froze and those overlooked spots where gold mines. There is usually a way if there is will and effort, maybe not limits each time but we shot alot of late season mallard and black ducks, even woodies, teal and gadwall in those little honey holes.

Last edited:

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
im going full on boat/diver/roost bust this year. screw it. sick of fighting over fields. maybe ill bust a roost, maybe i wont. i may get a scaup or a canvasback. maybe itll be a shoveler. i dont f-in care. i will scout the night b4 by find large concentrations of sconis and sotas who are planning on field hunting. then right before daylight i will bust that sum bitch. i never could figure out why u old farts like your pheasant and walleye fishing so much. i now see why. 50 hr work + kids +giant shit show diveded by not wanting to work my ass off to relax on my wkends = pheasants and fishing. ....... im still in that middle transition stage holding on to waterfowling so for this year i think im gunna just throw out a half-ass roost bust style attempt with the hopes of f-ing up at least a few sconis on my way out of fowling

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 71