Medical Marijuana and Guns

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Didn't hear the full story on the radio the other day but from what I did hear that in 9 western states that allow medical marijuana they may start denying background checks for the purchase of guns if the purchaser has a medical marijuana permit. Don't quote the exact particulars from me as I just heard the end of the story but it was something to that effect.

The reasoning was that someone under the effects of marijuana may become irrational and dangerous with a gun. Is the next criteria going to be as soon as you turn 21 and can legally buy and use alcohol the same criteria will be used.

Have never used drugs but can say that I have never seen anyone under the influence of marijuana to be any more of a hazard than some people under the influence of alcohol.

Shouldn't there be some evidence to support such rules rather than just another reason to prevent more people from buying guns. For me there is quite a bit of evidence that medical marijuana can help multiple medical conditions and make life more comfortable for some patients. Yet the government continues to not accept that evidence and willingly accepts no evidence if it will prevent gun ownership. When will it end?

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
well the next step after alcohol would be tobacco so lower it to 18 or one step farther if you have ever had a prescription medication no matter what age you are

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Won't fly as they (the govt.) made medical marijuana legal so trying to take someone's second amendment rights away for doing something legal would be political suicide. The NRA and gun owners will have a field day with this stupidity. I can't wait!!!!!

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/us-court-upholds-ban-gun-sales-marijuana-card-41778814

It will be interesting to see Davys thoughts on this.

If people who have a medicinal mj prescription simply suggest they are willing to exercise their 2nd amendment rights in a protest over the govts actions thru the courts are they to be considered wackos that hurt fire arm owners rights to own guns.

Odd that it is the 9th district circuit court that rules in this manner............:::

I think we have talked about other rulings by the 9th before.

http://dailycaller.com/2016/08/31/u...ent-rights-for-medical-marijuana-cardholders/

US Court Denies Second Amendment Rights For Medical Marijuana Cardholders

Craig-120x120.jpg
CRAIG BOUDREAU
Vice Reporter

8:27 PM 08/31/2016​

shutterstock_12809797-e1472685277981.jpg
A gun, some bullets and a bowl of marijuana Shutterstock/Chris Shackleford

The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals has ruled that a ban on gun sales to patients holding a medical marijuana card is legal, ABC News reports Wednesday.
S. Rowan Wilson, of Nevada, who is a medical marijuana cardholder, had attempted to buy a gun in 2011 but was denied the sale due to a federal law banning gun sales to illegal drug users. While medical marijuana is legal in Nevada, it is still illegal under federal law.
Wilson’s attorney, Chaz Rainey, told ABC News, “we live in a world where having a medical marijuana card is enough to say you don’t get a gun, but if you’re on the no fly list your constitutional right is still protected.”
Wilson also argued that her right to bear arms was taken away without due process, but the 9th Circuit Court disagreed in their unanimous 3-0 decision, which applies to all nine states under their jurisdiction.

Michael S. Chernis, of Chernis Law Group, tells The Daily Caller News Foundation that the “ruling is correct.” He says the federal law is very clear that illegal drug users cannot be sold firearms, but he also thinks this decision is evidence of “real problems” within our system.
The federal government is acting “cowardly, and refusing to do the right thing,” Chernis says, by not having an honest discussion about marijuana being lumped in with other Schedule I drugs by the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA).
To that end, he says if the DEA chose to reschedule marijuana from its current Schedule I to, say, Schedule II, or even III, this would not be an issue.
“Second Amendment rights are being compromised,” Chernis continued, “and people are being forced to choose between their right to own a firearm, or to pursue medicine of their choice.”

“There is no credible justification for a ‘marijuana exception’ to the US Constitution,” Paul Armentano, deputy director of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML) told TheDCNF. “Responsible adults who use cannabis in a manner that is compliant with the laws of their states ought to receive the same legal rights and protections as do other citizens.”
“It is incumbent that members of Congress act swiftly to amend cannabis’ criminal status in a way that comports with both public and scientific opinion, as well as its rapidly changing legal status under state laws,” Armentano concluded.
Rainey says there will be an appeal, but Chernis doesn’t see this as making its way to the Supreme Court because the court usually only picks up cases where there are conflicting decisions, which did not occur here.

Last edited:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
HaHaHa!!! Feds fighting states. Feds say pot is illegal, states say it's legal. This should get good.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
The judges on the 9th that have been appointed by liberal progressive presidents with agendas KNOW that less than 1% of rulings get taken up by the SCOTUS.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll bet Plainsman started a lot of this damn mess.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 92
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 60