Want to get into bow hunting, but need 32inch draw.

HuntFish4life

I was into Scheels recently and got measured for a bow, if I want to do this right I need a bow with 32 inch Draw. New to this bow hunting thing, I'm not looking to not break the bank here. Does anyone have some suggestions? Guidelines to look for in a bow? buy used? I am currently shooting mission with 31 inch draw and while I can hit up to 20 yards great, its when I get beyond that were I start to get into an issue now not sure if it the bow or me.

Thanks for any info, have a great day.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yours can't be adjusted to 32?

Most of shooting is practice practice practice. Only after you've hit a dead end on improving at shooting the bow you have should you try moving up in quality. At that point then YOU will know what shoots/feels great and what doesn't. Right now your ability to discern good/bad is likely not too keen.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are many bows on the market that can be modified to a 32" draw. Many of the companies have cams specific for this. I have a friend with the same draw length and he shoots an elite. If you are wanting a new bow, I would suggest checking the websites for Hoyt, Bowtech, Elite, etc and see which models are available with a 32" draw.

To get better at longer yardages, of course practice, but I see so many people practicing wrong they never get better. Lots of good video's on youtube about proper form. If you can get proper form down work your way up to longer yardages. Most of my practices consist of shooting at 50-80 yards. It makes my hunting shots of 15-40 yards seem too easy.

HuntFish4life

Yours can't be adjusted to 32?

Most of shooting is practice practice practice. Only after you've hit a dead end on improving at shooting the bow you have should you try moving up in quality. At that point then YOU will know what shoots/feels great and what doesn't. Right now your ability to discern good/bad is likely not too keen.

It cannot already checked into that. thanks for the info though it makes sense.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
that said - you might pick up crappy habits shooting a bow an inch too short (like failing to properly lock back muscles yadda)

shooting a release?

- - - Updated - - -

in other words make sure your form is correct as stated by bogey

- - - Updated - - -

reason I asked about release is you could buy some pull length by using a d-loop

HuntFish4life

that said - you might pick up crappy habits shooting a bow an inch too short (like failing to properly lock back muscles yadda)

shooting a release?

- - - Updated - - -

in other words make sure your form is correct as stated by bogey

- - - Updated - - -

reason I asked about release is you could buy some pull length by using a d-loop

Yes I do have release and I am going to have them increase the d-loop. thanks

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
32" is long. First thing I would do is verify that or get a second opinion at Scheels. If you are truly 32" draw length some things to consider.

1.) That draw length will get you speed, but can also lead to unforgiveness . Lets say 29" is the average dl. On the same bow with it set up to 32" the arrow will have the force of the string behind it for an additional 3" of travel. Everything else equal, that will add 20-30 fps to the arrow. The bad side to that is that additional 3" of travel will increase the time the arrow is attached to the string after release. So poor form, bow hand torque, or any movement immediately after the release will have a greater effect on the arrows trajectory.

To help counter this, look for a bow with a longer brace height (the distance from the bow grip to the string while at rest). Most manufacturers will have at least one bow with a brace height somewhere between 7" and 8".

2.) Usually shooting a longer draw length than what you should will cause more form and accuracy issues than the other way around. Do you shoot with a release and a d-loop on the string? Usually you can play with the d-loop length and get another 1/4" to 1/2" of draw length if that would give you better form at full draw.

3.) Many tall guys with long arms (which I am guessing you might be with 32" dl) prefer a longer axle to axle bow. A longer axle to axle will lesson the string angle at full draw and should help with any nock pinch issues that sometimes come up with steep string angles.

4.) Many accuracy issues are caused by bad form, and drawing to much weight for a specific draw cycle can lead to bad form. So make sure you aren't pulling too much weight. If you have to point the bow towards the sky to pull back the string you need to reduce the weight. That DL will give you an advantage in the speed category over most, so IMO I would stay away from the designated "speed bows" of the manufactures. These bows will have more harsh draw cycles and short brace heights (5.5"-6.5").

5.) There are lots of great bow companies out there and I wouldn't put one above the other. You just need to shoot different bows and pick the one that you shoot the best. Bowtech, Hoyt, Mathews, Elite, PSE are probably the most well known around here and can be found at Scheels. Prime, New Breed, Obsession, Xpedition are smaller companies but have bows that can compete or surpass any of the big dogs as well.

Like mentioned above watch you tube videos on proper form. If after watching and following those and you still have problems past 20yds, it could be more in the set up of the bow and arrows you are shooting.

muzzyhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
You might also be able to sqeak out another 1/4 to 1/2" by changing your release, espesially wrist strap designs, they make alot nowadays with the head closer to the trigger, to increase draw length.
I also agree shooting a bow too long is more detrimental to form and accuracy then shooting a bow that is a little short.

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes I do have release and I am going to have them increase the d-loop. thanks

I use a loop on my bow too. If you don't have a peep sight, i highly recommend you get one. I was told that i needed a 32" draw, but i am shooting a 29", accurately to 40 yards (don't do much past there). It's all about muscle repetition, consistent draw point, and being comfortable with your bow. I shoot an older Mathews Q2 with nothing fancy. I have a whisker bisquit rest and tru-glo sights. i use Beman carbon arrows

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
As others have said, 32" is really long and there's not a lot of legit 32" draw length guys out there so I would get a second opinion on that. Many more people are shooting bows with draw lengths that are too long than too short. How tall are you? What release are you using? I new release that gives you some adjustability may give you some room to play with and even if you get a new bow eventually you can still use the release.

HuntFish4life

Thank you for all the great feed back. I was able to get dialed in up to 40 yards. I went to Scheels and talked to them about what I could do to make an adjustment vs getting the longer draw length. It appears to be working. Not sure what I will do in response to the draw length at this point, I am shooting well now and did manage to take my first bow deer this weekend. It was just a doe but have to start somewhere. Doe or not it was still really exciting.

Again thanks for all the feedback, good luck to you all and stay safe out there.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75