shooting system

ndweimer

Founding Member
Founding Member
What does everyone use for rifle support when hunting in the field? Bipod ( what height), shooting bags, sticks, backpack? Anyone use spikes on their bipods? Is pod-loc a must have for pivoting bipods? I have a larger Harris pivoting pod that I use for coyote hunting(deep snow), but debating if I should get a smaller bipod for big game hunting. Whats your thoughts?

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have two long bipods and two short ones. When I hunt I carry a long one in the backpack and a short one on the rifle. They are like vehicles one will not do everything you want. I like it when I can use the short 9-13 inch. The lower to the ground the more stable I am.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/hunter-s-specialties-quik-shot-shooting-stick/0000000094230

1403340_10154877040490372_2207796691442868385_o.jpg

these mega cheap shooting sticks. Perfect for shooting while sitting on the side of a hill, lightweight, and work handy as a walking stick when climbing buttes. Maybe not the best option for everyone but i like them.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
$9 sounds about right. I do like the ease of use of shooting sticks along with the ability to use them as a walking stick. That being said, I have the long bipods on my .270 wsm and short ones on my .223. I know, only two rifles. I did sneak my dad's AR away from him.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually shoot prone/off my knee if I have some time or straight up off-hand when in a time-sensitive situation. Never have used sticks or bags.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like shooting my pods but if need be will use sticks i have treking poles that i use as sticks and what not. I want to get atlas pods i with the quick rail connect expensive but will worth it to me

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like shooting my pods but if need be will use sticks i have treking poles that i use as sticks and what not. I want to get atlas pods i with the quick rail connect expensive but will worth it to me

$200+ ouch. Would be nice tho. i loathe the extra weight and bulkiness of traditional bipods (while hunting)

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just need steady nerves and a kongfu grip like I have.
Bunch of fancy boys

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
kongfu?! whoa... that sounds nasty - a blend of gorilla like strength and grasshopper dexterity?

280px-Kong33promo.jpg

V0N5SlJYdlBOUm8x_o_kung-fu---grasshopper-dialog.jpg

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will teach the old balls skater our system, you will find a way of life that proves balance, and peace beyond any realm you have imagined, just let it happen, peace and strength are already within we will harness this with vigor

- - - Updated - - -

Kongfu you too...haha

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
$200+ ouch. Would be nice tho. i loathe the extra weight and bulkiness of traditional bipods (while hunting)

To be fair if I was going to just hunt a 6-9 Harris swivel with pod lock is damn tough to beat.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i ain't sure you guys who have never used pods or sticks know what you are missing. if you have the time to deploy them, they make shooting feel like a video game almost. nothing quite like plinking standing deer off of a good trigger stick or bipods. i like bipods better for stability. but, i've gone the route of a good stick the last few years simply because i feel like its a bit more versatile. don't get me wrong, i've shot dozens of deer standing or kneeling... usually while walking sloughs and shtuff. but, if i am still hunting, a stick or pods are certainly preferred. occasionally, i've even got to deploy the stick on pushes.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually just use the mirror or window ledge as a rest. If I'm really hunting hard I may get out of the truck and use the hood for a rest but thats alot of work.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually just use the mirror or window ledge as a rest. If I'm really hunting hard I may get out of the truck and use the hood for a rest but thats alot of work.

yea if a guy cant maneuver the pickup in a fashion to where you can shoot off the mirror (best rifle rest made btw) its really not worth it.

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
off topic - but do they make windshields that are AR proof? just curious.

I haven't done any damage to my windshield yet due to brass from my AR, but you will lose several down the vents or they get stuck between the dash and windshield. ;:;banghead

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Best shooting system bar none is a 20 round magazine filled with 178 Amax. My go-to. Works wonderfully, but I've always only needed the first shot.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 140
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 124
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 80