Tell me about ground blind hunting.....

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've done a fair amount of treestand hunting all on private land with little worry of treestand theft. My wife is bowhunting now as well and has really only hunted out of very secure ladder stands. I'm not close to those hunting areas anymore but have decent access to public lands in my area. So, between the worry of theft and the fact I don't think the wife will be comfortable in a small hang on stand I am considering purchasing a ground blind we can hike in and out with each time we hunt public areas. But I am curious as to your thoughts on this tactic. I've only hunted antelope from a blind using semi-permanent blinds. I know a fresh blind tripped them up but this was on open prairie. We should be able to reasonably brush up our blinds and be near vertical cover & trees. Will a fresh blind be a hang up for deer? We practice scent control but logic would suggest it is more important than being 20' up in a tree.

The goal for the experience isn't to get in front of a monster buck. It's mainly just to spend some time outdoors, maybe get a buck in range for a shot. Will the ground blind provide this? Any tips are appreciated!

ejolliffe

Founding Member
Founding Member
let the blind settle in at least a week if you can. I know you want to move it in each time, but I have not heard of many guys doing well that way. if you are able to bait, put it in a good spot at a comfortable shooting distance away. scent control a ton and enter and exit the same way every time. i put some branches, grass, leaves, etc. around mine to conceal it and blend it in better. try and set up on a 'bump' or hill if possible. a swivel chair is a must.

hoytslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
if I was in your scenario I would just go natural blind. by that I mean pop a squat in some bushes and pile a couple branches in front of you for a little extra cover. I have all private land and often times do this myself.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
if I was in your scenario I would just go natural blind. by that I mean pop a squat in some bushes and pile a couple branches in front of you for a little extra cover. I have all private land and often times do this myself.

This^^^^^^

A piece of 550 cord or other non white cordage will help immensely as you can tie it between two trees or bushes and lay cover in front and in back of you instead of having to pile stuff up. You can also use camo netting, but I think this stands out more than just using whatever is locally available, however it is an option.

Vollmers

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Watch Menards late in the season & a guy can find ladder stands DIRT CHEAP. A few years back I found them for $29. I think I bought 4 or 5 & they are decent stands for the price. Throw a $5 cable/lock on it & your ready to go. Most people aren't going to go to the trouble of cutting a lock for a $29 stand. IMHO.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80