Battling the Skeeters

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
How have you guys been fitting the skeeters? Around the house (out in the country) I have sprayed down with 40% deet and still getting eaten. I can't even imagine trying to bow hunt in that kind of shit.

Mosquito netting? blinds? thermocell working?

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thermocell has worked great once in the stand. Only been bit once when sitting. The walk in and out is another story. Granted the first 2 days I sat the wind was blowing 40 so there was no bugs. The last 2 sits there was little to no wind.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why would you want to repel the state bird?

In all seriousness, I have found nothing to be very effective. I've heard Thermocell is the ticket, but I've spent too much money in my life on "try this, it works.....seriously try it" only to find it's as effective as a sugar pill. Love to hear how it works for the rest of NDA.

Kickemup, I'll put you down for a check mark in the "it works" column. Have you had any sits without the Thermocell? Maybe they aren't as bad up higher?

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
How have you guys been fitting the skeeters? Around the house (out in the country) I have sprayed down with 40% deet and still getting eaten. I can't even imagine trying to bow hunt in that kind of shit.

Mosquito netting? blinds? thermocell working?

Put bird houses in your yard. I'm not kidding you one bit, It works better than anything out there.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use 100% deet and a bug suit and need to reapply deet multiple times if I am sitting in the cattails

- - - Updated - - -

And when they get so bad I start eating them when I'm breathing I light up a cigar

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I keep hearing how the termocell works, but I was one of the first suckers. We took it on a Minnesota houseboat trip. My son and I were standing on the back deck two feet apart with the thermocell between us on a dead calm night fishing. They were biting us constantly as if nothing was there. My thermocell has layed ----- I can't even remember where I put it.

I will use my 17 foot ladder stand and not the 10 foot. I have noticed the higher I get the less pestered I am by insects.

I have sprayed my yard three times with TEMPO. I think they like it.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
If using DEET, 30% is as effective as 100%. I have published research that shows this. What you get when using 100% DEET is and increased chance of skin irritation without an increase in protection. Also, any repellent is only effective on 90% of the target pest. Meaning if you have 10000 mosquitoes trying to bite you, 1000 will, regardless of if you are wearing DEET. Mosquitoes Suck!! Additionally, if you are treating your yard with an adulticide, the effectiveness and persistence are directly related to the wind speeds you experience in the 12 hours after you treat. If you have high winds, new mosquitoes will immigrate into your newly treated area and fill the void in the population you just created with your spray. Using a product like yard guard that you can shoot up into the trees and bushes a bit, might give you a little more protection as doing so gets the product into more of the places mosquitoes like to sit during the day. Treating a mowed lawn is less effective as many mosquitoes don't rest in those areas very often. The best product I've ever dealt with in my career as a bug killer was DDT. I realize this product has a bad PR problem, but that stuff kept every insect in the Amazon Jungle OUT of the huts and buildings we used it in for at least 3 years and probably more, but I had to leave after 3 years. If I could get some, I would treat my house so fast it would create a sonic boom. Anyway, I hope this info helps a bit, but I realize that regardless of what we do, the mosquitoes will still be a pain until a hard frost. Keep up the good fight guys!!!

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thermocell has worked great once in the stand. Only been bit once when sitting. The walk in and out is another story. Granted the first 2 days I sat the wind was blowing 40 so there was no bugs. The last 2 sits there was little to no wind.

Same story here. Not a single bite once I got to the stand. Dead calm and you can hear the constant hum of the skeeters and they wouldn't come near me with the thermocell running.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll add to the Thermocell success stories. I have used them in both ground blinds and stands this year. They just amaze me. Set up a ground blind last Sunday, and the skeeters were terrible. Turned on the thermocell, after 10 minutes, didn't see another one the rest of the night.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thermocell fan here as well. Tommyboy showed me how to refill the butane cartridge for way less money than buying them.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just hire KDM, to make a couple passes with his skeeter killing flying machine!! :;:exactly

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was certain that the Thermocell would turn out to be more snake oil when the product launched. I was as wrong about that as I was about the .17HMR being a "flash in the pan 2nd coming of the Remington 5MM rimfire". Thermocell is fantastic if you're stationary and give it a little time to work. TC is absolute magic in a ground blind.

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why would you want to repel the state bird?

In all seriousness, I have found nothing to be very effective. I've heard Thermocell is the ticket, but I've spent too much money in my life on "try this, it works.....seriously try it" only to find it's as effective as a sugar pill. Love to hear how it works for the rest of NDA.

Kickemup, I'll put you down for a check mark in the "it works" column. Have you had any sits without the Thermocell? Maybe they aren't as bad up higher?

i have been using mine dove hunting in the grass, and if i can sit in this damn swamp that ive been dove hunting out of in the evening and not be carried away or drained of blood that can attest to how well the thermocell works, ive run one since they first come out and if you havent used one yet you are living under a rock its $30-40 bucks to not be eating by mosquitoes! TAKE MY MONEY! it works buy it quit being a tight ass!

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use one as well. They're absolutely fantastic at keeping skeeters away. I get tired of the smell rather quickly so I tend to switch it on and off. Money well spent.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to use trained swallows. Accidentally shot one two years ago whilst dove hunting.

I just couldn't put myself through that again so now I have a TC too. Works pretty good.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I swear by therma cell,whether early goose or sitting on the patio,no bite and don't even lite...kinda catchy phrase...hmmm.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77