Minnesota Bear - anyone out?

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just curious if anyone went to Minnesota and if so what was the baiting like. I have hunted out there for the past 12 years now and am heading out to start baiting this Thursday. The landowner were we stay says that he has no acorns this year which is good, but how about hazel nuts, berries, etc. Anxious to get out there again, had a big bear in our swamp bait and hoping he is still in the area.

Anyway just wondering if anyone had any luck!

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know BucksNBears hunts in MN, but I haven't seen him on here in a while.

stalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
I saw a picture of a dead one on my brother in law's phone. It was killed over by Clearbrook. Looked like a nice one.

On another note, he was out to our cabin and scared up a pair of bears. The cabin sits on a point that sticks out into a lake. The bears were cornered so the only way they had to go was swim across the lake. I wish I would have got to seen that!

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have not started hunting yet.will start next week.
bears are very active this year. have been working in the area i bear hunt and have been seeing them out roaming about every morning i take a tour.
very little natural food. baits should really get hit hard.
i've seen more big ones this past few weeks than i ever though were around.

know of at least 8-10 that will go over 400# but not sure if i will try for them. getting to old to drag them fat bastards out:;:help

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got baits out and am anxious to see what materializes. Everyone that I have talked to is saying the same thing, that they are coming to the baits. I have one bait that I have to cross about 150 yards of shallow marsh to get to. Last year we could still get there with ATV's but this year is a no go until we actually start hunting, no tracks on the side by side and this year with all the rain they have had I don't think you would get through without them. So may take the duck boat with and just float it in or carry small amount each day?

Either way the bait is way to good of an area for big bears not to at least five it a go! Good Luck!!

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm bear hunting up at Winnipegosis, MB. Dad had four bears under his stand and I had 2 tonight. 1 bear even charged my stand. That made me poop a little.

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah that is the fun of bear hunting, you really never know what "could" happen. Hope you get a good one.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
image.jpg
I shot this big pig Thursday night. I burned a lot of gas this fall baiting bears. It was well worth it!

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
How much did it weigh?

I wish I knew! All I know is that he was really big. So big that I had to skin and debone him where he died. It was all I could do just to roll him over. I had to bushwack my way into him with the 4 wheeler so I could load the hide and head on it. My wife and I could just barely get the hide and head lifted onto the 4 wheeler.

I had my wife and 3 kids with for the recovery. My wife, a 3 yr old, a 2 yr old and a 7 month old all on the same wheeler. Ha

- - - Updated - - -

The kill pic was taken the next morning so all the guts are out of him. I wish I would have gotten pics with his huge belly. I gutted him and cooled him down that night but wanted my kids and wife there for pics so I waited until morn to finish.

Attachments

image.jpg

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Damn that thing is huge, griz hybrid?:D (I know less than nothing bout bears)

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
How do they do record size? skull measurements.

Length and width of skull added together for P&Y/B&C. Many will also add the "squared" measurement of the hide, front legs claw-to-claw as well as a nose to tail measurement, add them up, divide by 2. That bear will be knocking on the door of 7' which is a friggin' huge black bear no matter where you're hunting, MN, AK, or any province in CA.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not a big story teller but this bear season just has to be told.

I'll start with a real quick back ground of what lead up to this kill.

Loaded up the baits Aug 20. I hunted 4 days over labor day weekend. I shot a big bear with my bow on video. I thought it was a perfect shot but didn't find him. I hunted that Monday night and didn't get home until 4 am on Tuesday, just in time for work. I came back the next weekend and hunted 3 nights and didn't connect. I was content that I didn't get a bear and called it a season. Well as the days went on I couldn't take it anymore, I had to go back up.

So last Sunday, Sept 18 I drove to Northern MN from Bismarck to load up my 3 baits. (15 hour round trip). I hit a deer going 80 mph with my pickup and messed up my bumper. So after all this my plan was to come up and hunt Fri, Sat & Sunday. Well the weather was calling for rain on Sat & Sun so I moved it up a day and decided to hunt Thursday.

Thursday morning I go and check the baits and trail cameras and hang stands with my wife and 3 kids all on the wheeler. (I bet I've hung and taken down a stand over 50 times this fall for bears). All 3 baits were being hit and all 3 had shooter bears. I check the wind and decide I'm going to hunt the cedars. My wife and 3 kids drop me off at the stand at about 3:30. Once I get strapped into my tree I look down and all 4 are giving me a thumbs up and they take off.

After all the crap I've gone through this season I decide I'm going to use my muzzleloader instead of my bow. At about 6:00 I spot my bear. He is just walking through the cedars to my side and not heading for the bait. I lose sight of him and just thought well he's a bear, bear do weird things, he will be in eventually. Well at about 7:00 he shows up out of nowhere right on the bait! I lift up my muzzleloader and squeeze the trigger. I hear a click and a quiet bang. My gun didn't fire! Of course the bear hears this and looks up at me and takes off. At this point I'm convinced the good Lord doesn't want me to shoot a bear this year. But I grab another primer and put a new one in. Its still legal shooting light but basically dark at this point. Then out of nowhere the huge black bear is back on the bait!

As I take aim my phone is ringing over and over again (on vibrate). I obviously ignore it. I squeeze the trigger and there is about a 2 second delay and all of a sudden BANG! I see fire and then just smoke everywhere. I didn't see the bear but heard a lot of crashing and heavy breathing and what I thought was a real quick death moan.

My phone rings again, its my wife. I answer with a whisper, "hello?". I can instantly tell she is crying and in distress. She says she tipped the 4 wheeler over and is pinned underneath! There is a gate we have to go around on an old logging road and I made sure to stress over and over again to unload the kids before she goes around it. Well thank God she did. She is pinned underneath while our 3 kids are crying ten yards away (the oldest kid is 3).

So I tell her I'm gonna call 911 and I'm gonna sprint to you. I call 911 and tell them where we are at which is difficult to explain in the dark in the middle of nowhere in the woods. Finally I tell the dispatcher I have to go start running and hung up on him. I climb out of the stand start sprinting in the dark. I made the 4 mile run in Olympic record time I swear. I get to the gate and the wheeler is on its top in a big ass swamp. No wife or kids which I knew was a good sign. She was able to dig herself out of the mud and got back to the pickup.

I made sure everyone was OK and then went back to the wheeler and was able to tip it back over. So I grabbed a light and a pistol and went to look for the bear which I really had no idea if I hit or not. I get to the bait and there is a puddle of blood instantly but nothing after that. So I wandered around the dark woods for a half hour until I basically stepped on the bear. Dead as a doornail. Perfect shot! I can instantly tell this bear is giant.

I went back to get my 3 year old daughter to come see the bear and grab a knife. I can barely roll the damn thing over. But I did end up getting it gutted out and strung my clothes all over it so the wolves wouldn't eat it. We go back to the pickup and my wife and I decide its already 40 degrees and the other 2 kids (which are sleeping in the pickup at this point) will want to see the bear intact so we decide we will come back in the morning to take pictures and take care of the bear.

The deboning and skinning process is a long story but the short version is my wife and I could barely get the hide and the head loaded onto the 4 wheeler it was so damn heavy. We got back to the pickup at like 1 in the afternoon and brought the bear right to the taxidermist.

This is a hunt I will never forget!

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg
Here is the whole clan. Not many people can say when they were 7 months old they sat and watched their dad skin a huge black bear in the middle of nowhere.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Holy Schniekies!!! I'd say you have a rare gem of a woman for a wife. Cherish her!! Great to hear everyone was alright. What a gong show of a trip though. I don't suppose you will be forgetting this hunt anytime soon. Congratulations again on a great bear!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62