Lead Sled for rent?

GSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does anyone in the Fargo area have a lead sled shooting rest they would be willing to rent/borrow out for some shooting? Do these actually work as far as recoil reduction, better hold for sighting in rifle? I have become a bit rusty on my shooting due to not having a rifle tag for quite a few years and focusing primarily on bow hunting. Just looking for every advantage to make sure the gun is on. I also know that range time is the best thing for this, but I am having a tough time making that happen as much as I would like. Feel free to PM me if wanted.

Thanks,

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
you'll be much better off shooting off bags or bipod or combination of both.

GSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
HAHA. Survey says....No lead sled. That's what I was looking for. I am currently shooting off bags, but thought about adding the bipod also.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lead sled are junk

I just shot off mine this weekend. Got it for a gift, it's the DFT model. I have nothing bad to say about it. Way better for zeroing in than anything I've used. You can make slight adjustments on elevation by spinning the adjustment wheel and have it set perfect. Oh, and it hardly moves after set!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check your action and scope and base mount screws. If you have a wood stock check for cracks. I do the same with bipods and bags and see how the gun actually shoots as recoil is part of the equation

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most any old rifle rest will get the gun steady and reduce recoil. I picked one up after getting my 300 Weatherby and it makes a huge difference and helps a guy from developing a flinch reaction if putting allot of rounds. Takes all the personal variables out of the equation and leaves only the accuracy of the gun which makes it allot easier.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've shot off both. Lead sleds do save your shoulder if your load testing/shooting many rounds of a magnum caliber.
I too vote no on them as a good solid bi pod, and sand bags are the best in my opinion and get the most consistent/tight groupings.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used a lead sled once when i went to skoalys range by enderlin. My gun cut holes out of that lead sled at 100 yards. I have tried to shoot that well off of sandbags but havent been able pull it off. All this being said i do not think using a lead sled is that good of practice for hunting.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 76