Teddy Roosevelt Elk Volunteers

Brotsky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did any of you guys volunteer to take part in this reduction shoot when they had it? They are planning to do the same thing here in SoDak in Wind Cave and I was thinking of volunteering. Just curious if it was a $h!@ show or not up there? I've packed out my share of elk, not afraid of hard work, and am in shape for it just curious if anyone had any feedback on it or participated. Thanks.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Be sure you can consistently hit an eight inch circle at 200 from field positions.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good buddy of mine did. Said they were forced to use copper bullets (it was during the lead scare). They must not have gotten those Barnes I hear rave reviews of, because they were triple tapping almost everything they shot.

He said it was a helluva fun time, though.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did any of you guys volunteer to take part in this reduction shoot when they had it? They are planning to do the same thing here in SoDak in Wind Cave and I was thinking of volunteering. Just curious if it was a $h!@ show or not up there? I've packed out my share of elk, not afraid of hard work, and am in shape for it just curious if anyone had any feedback on it or participated. Thanks.

Where is the info on this i would maybe take part.

- - - Updated - - -

Be sure you can consistently hit an eight inch circle at 200 from field positions.

dang i dont know if i can do that.....

- - - Updated - - -

found it

Wind Cave Elk Requirements for Participation as a Trained VolunteerSummary of Volunteer Responsibilities:The National Park Service (NPS) seeks volunteers to assist in the reduction of elk within Wind CaveNational Park to address Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) in the herd. Volunteers will be part of an effortto determine if the reduction of elk density can result in a reduction in disease prevalence. Volunteerswill be formed into teams that will locate and shoot and assist in field processing elk under the directionof a NPS Team Leader.To participate, volunteers are required to commit to 5 consecutive days (Monday –Friday) of anavailable week they select between mid-November and February. Elk meat that has tested as nondetectedfor CWD will be made available to the participating volunteers at the conclusion of theirvolunteer experience.To qualify for this opportunity the following criteria need to be met: Provide a pictured proof of identity (driver’s license, passport). Be a United States citizen and a resident of South Dakota. Be at least 18 years of age. Pass a NCIC criminal background check and sign a volunteer applicant affidavit of criminalhistory and background investigation release. Sign up as an unpaid NPS Volunteer employee (NPS VIP Program) for five days. Self-certify physical fitness by stating their ability to walk up to 10 miles a day, and the ability tocarry a 70 pound pack. Provide own equipment, lodging, food, rifle (firearms must be at least .25 caliber with abottlenecked cartridge), and non-lead ammunition (non-toxic lead-free bullet that is at least 100grains and is of a non-frangible design. Agree to take and pass a firearms proficiency test (place a minimum of 3 of 5 shots in an 8 inchcircle at 200 yards). Understand they cannot participate in any reduction activities or carry firearms should they failthe background investigation or firearm proficiency test. Actively participate in all safety briefings and follow Team Lead instructions. When not in use, volunteers must secure their weapon at all times.There will be 12 weeks of elk removal operations at Wind Cave:There will not be removal operations on Thanksgiving week and the week after Christmas.1. Nov. 14 – 182. Nov. 28 – Dec. 23. Dec. 5 – 94. Dec. 12 – 165. Dec. 19 – 236. Jan. 2 – 67. Jan. 9 – 138. Jan. 16 – 209. Jan. 23 – 2710. Jan. 30 – Feb. 311. Feb. 6 - 1012. Feb. 13 – 17

Brotsky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks guys. Kurt, that's the deal. Sounds like a decent time to me as well.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought when it was in ND, you just had to be an American. For this, you have to be an American and S.D. resident.

Where is the info on this i would maybe take part.

- - - Updated - - -

dang i dont know if i can do that.....

- - - Updated - - -

found it

Wind Cave Elk Requirements for Participation as a Trained VolunteerSummary of Volunteer Responsibilities:The National Park Service (NPS) seeks volunteers to assist in the reduction of elk within Wind CaveNational Park to address Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) in the herd. Volunteers will be part of an effortto determine if the reduction of elk density can result in a reduction in disease prevalence. Volunteerswill be formed into teams that will locate and shoot and assist in field processing elk under the directionof a NPS Team Leader.To participate, volunteers are required to commit to 5 consecutive days (Monday –Friday) of anavailable week they select between mid-November and February. Elk meat that has tested as nondetectedfor CWD will be made available to the participating volunteers at the conclusion of theirvolunteer experience.To qualify for this opportunity the following criteria need to be met: Provide a pictured proof of identity (driver’s license, passport). Be a United States citizen and a resident of South Dakota. Be at least 18 years of age. Pass a NCIC criminal background check and sign a volunteer applicant affidavit of criminalhistory and background investigation release. Sign up as an unpaid NPS Volunteer employee (NPS VIP Program) for five days. Self-certify physical fitness by stating their ability to walk up to 10 miles a day, and the ability tocarry a 70 pound pack. Provide own equipment, lodging, food, rifle (firearms must be at least .25 caliber with abottlenecked cartridge), and non-lead ammunition (non-toxic lead-free bullet that is at least 100grains and is of a non-frangible design. Agree to take and pass a firearms proficiency test (place a minimum of 3 of 5 shots in an 8 inchcircle at 200 yards). Understand they cannot participate in any reduction activities or carry firearms should they failthe background investigation or firearm proficiency test. Actively participate in all safety briefings and follow Team Lead instructions. When not in use, volunteers must secure their weapon at all times.There will be 12 weeks of elk removal operations at Wind Cave:There will not be removal operations on Thanksgiving week and the week after Christmas.1. Nov. 14 – 182. Nov. 28 – Dec. 23. Dec. 5 – 94. Dec. 12 – 165. Dec. 19 – 236. Jan. 2 – 67. Jan. 9 – 138. Jan. 16 – 209. Jan. 23 – 2710. Jan. 30 – Feb. 311. Feb. 6 - 1012. Feb. 13 – 17

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Auggie just beat me to it. When they did it at TRNP they said it was open to anyone as long as they were a legal US citizen.... Because it was a NATIONAL park and all... wonder how those guys from sodak get away with restricting it to SoDak residents?

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
i thought you had to be a Nodakker, maybe ND's were given preference I remember they always said they were giving ND sportsmen a chance to help with elk herd....

Last edited:

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well if it's like ours you won't be packing them out the have horse teams that do that. You just go in to which ever herd is up and mow them down. Not sure how it was by the end but had a friend do it early on and needless to say national park elk are not to familiar with having to run when they hear gunshots. Over all it sounded like a pretty good time and don't remember anyone saying it sucked but I'm sure someone didn't like it. I know I didn't like the idea of the hunt since our game and fish seemed to have declared war on the elk and that core group was good for limiting their impact. We definitely have more room for more elk but big ag will never allow it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75