building permits

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wife wants a deck on the front of the house. Wouldn't be anything special (10'x20') rectangle deck. Anyone in Bismarck know if I need a building permit and if so, who to contact? New homeowner so I'm not sure what direction to turn.

Along the same lines, I have an 11'x11' pad in the backyard that looked like it had a structure on it at one point in time. I can see anchor holes drilled. What are the building codes for adding a shed to it eventually? Lycan???

riverfisher

Founding Member
Founding Member
at work we generally get a permit from the city for anything over $1000

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well I am pretty sure you need a permit for that deck, the already pour concrete in the backyard I believe you should be able to go as big as 10X10 without one.
I had the high school shop class build me a shed 3 years ago in my backyard, 10X10 but it was where an existing little crappy tin shed was already at on a nice clean slab
They did a great job, and in fact I would think you could contact the local schools and get the same deal this fall, gives them some experience, and was done a bit cheaper. I just paid for the parts, and made a small donation ($300) to the class for things they might need.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
My class did three sheds in our shop class. A couple of us picked up on the whole construction thing pretty quick. One kid in my class, who is now in the big house, decided his skills were better suited inside said shed, smoking cigs, and hammering an extra 30 lbs of nails into the 2x4's.

Anyone know who to call in Bismarck?

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it's being attached to the house it'll have to have posts set 4' in the ground or concrete poured 4' in the ground to set the posts on. Thus it would require a building permit.

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depends on how long it's gunna take to get it built. Done in an afternoon on a weekend......Before anybody even thinks about if there was a permit involved....Nobody even notice/ pay attention.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76