Kuiu or Sitka

ndweimer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking at the Jetstream by Sitka or the Guide by Kuiu. Have tried the Sitka on , but have not tried the Guide. Anyone have any comparisons of the two jackets? Wondering how well the Guide blocks the wind and its insulating value compared to the Sitka.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking at the Jetstream by Sitka or the Guide by Kuiu. Have tried the Sitka on , but have not tried the Guide. Anyone have any comparisons of the two jackets? Wondering how well the Guide blocks the wind and its insulating value compared to the Sitka.

If your near a Scheels, they have the Jetsream lite on sale from $229 to $99. I picked one up yesterday in Bismarck. Its my first piece of any of this stuff so don't really have any comparisons to offer. The jetstream lite fits very snug, so i bought a size up so i can get a base-layer and primaloft vest under it if i want.

BGH

Founding Member
Founding Member
The guide jacket is much different than the jet stream, I think anyway. The jet stream is an everyday layer, where my guide jacket only comes out in the real cold weather. It's a very warm piece, extremely durable. Almost has the feel of a north face jacket.
i love my guide jacket for the winter, but I only where it during that season. The jet stream I think can be used year round.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the traverse cold weather hoody that i run the jet stream vest over and those two together with a base layer it would have to be damn cold. I know a few guys with the jet stream coat and they like it alot if it is like the vest it would get pretty hot anything over 50.

ndweimer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kurtr, looking for coat to wear in November to keep the wind out. Already have other layers, just not a good windproof layer.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone have the Guide Jacket?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
well then the jet stream should be what you need.

BGH has the guide jacket

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the guide jacket. I do not think it is a winter only jacket at all. I wear mine early season in the stand with little to no base layering and am fine and also later season with base layers. I would compare the wind stoppage to a north face or similar jacket. Jacket performed great on an active mulie hunt for me in early November.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
The sitka product I have is spendy and the gear run's on the small size compared to other gear I have,I was disappointed to see the "made in china" attachment when my stuff came in.Same thing with red wing boots(upland) made in china.uhg.

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have both Kuiu and Sitka products. All in all I like the Kuiu better. I would say the guide jacket is more comparable to the Sitka 90% jacket if you're looking for a comparable Sitka. Both will run slightly smaller than you would expect - probably about one size.

ndweimer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a good fleece midlayer and also a puffy jacket for glassing, so most of all I was looking for a jacket to handle the wind. So with your comparison of the 90% jacket to the Guide, would I be better suited with the Jetstream? From what I have read the Jetstream doesn't breath as well as the Guide, but the Guide is thought to shed water better. Decision is tough considering I can get the Jetstream for close to the same price as the Guide. I have tried on the Sitka and yes I did have to move a size up, so thanks for the tip on Kuiu running small.
I have both Kuiu and Sitka products. All in all I like the Kuiu better. I would say the guide jacket is more comparable to the Sitka 90% jacket if you're looking for a comparable Sitka. Both will run slightly smaller than you would expect - probably about one size.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have wanted to try kuiu but when they lied about being made in China and Jason the owner being such a douchebag and getting a great deal on sitka I can't pull the trigger.

- - - Updated - - -

Oops I lied I do the kuiu Yukon glove and they are pretty damn nice.

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a good fleece midlayer and also a puffy jacket for glassing, so most of all I was looking for a jacket to handle the wind. So with your comparison of the 90% jacket to the Guide, would I be better suited with the Jetstream? From what I have read the Jetstream doesn't breath as well as the Guide, but the Guide is thought to shed water better. Decision is tough considering I can get the Jetstream for close to the same price as the Guide. I have tried on the Sitka and yes I did have to move a size up, so thanks for the tip on Kuiu running small.

I think it depends. If you're looking for a jacket to wear as a stand alone garment I might go with the Jetstream. If I was looking at something as part of a layering system with insulation underneath I'd probably go Guide.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wear my guide jacket all the time from spring fishing, cool september mornings, and into late november deer hunting (active hunting). Layer underneath as necessary. Absolutely love that coat. The pit zips are a very nice feature and the DWR has proven to be quite durable and can withstand a pretty decent rain before feeling dampness around the seams.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the kuiu guide jacket and pants and it works great for colder weather active hunting. Not so great just sitting but doable with my first light layers. When it gets that cold, I have a pair of under armour bibs and parka that work alright.

The attack pants are awesome for warmer weather hunting. I had them on in the badlands last october when it hit 94 degrees and they weren't all that bad for trapping warmth. They do run small, so after I ordered and found that out, I had to do a little dieting.

tsioux

Founding Member
Founding Member

Where can you get the Jetstream for the price of the Guide? A guy can never have too many options :D. That being said, I have the Guide and I use it in every season minus the summer. Very versatile jacket that is currently my favorite piece of outerwear.

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been looking at that. Next pack will be a kifaru for sure.

I would love to have a Kifaru pack but man they are steep. I settled for a Kuiu Icon Pro with their new pack frame. There's a couple things I'd like to change but it's one hell of a lot better than the Eberlestock J34 I had previously.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will buy a used one. Some good deals on rokslide after the season is over.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75