How do you hunt this stand?

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I have been pondering corners and how to play the wind with them. So one scenerio I have is along a river. The green is trees, yellow is prairie, brown is ag field.

So what is the best wind for the spot arrowed? Does a person want the wind to blow the scent out over the prairie? or into the trees?

Bow Stand.jpg

Still_Learnin'

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe I'm going to have to sit in that stand once or twice to figure it out. You just tell me where its at and I'll solve the problem ;)

Seriously though, I would think that a straight south wind or straight east wind would be best. How deep is that river behind the stand? Too deep for a deer to cross under normal circumstances?

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do the deer cross the river often? If not would move the stand to the east and set up in the funnel between the river and the east/west shelterbelt. Where do the deer come from? Where do they feed at? Is there any funnels between the two points lots of information missing to figure it out

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Without knowing where the deer are bedding at and where they come from it is hard to say, to me figuring out where they bed and how they get to the corner you have marked is the key to figuring out which wind is correct early in the season. Can you get to the stand without going thru bedding area? As you get closer to the pre-rut and rut wind to me isn't as important to the point the does decide where the bucks go and a lot of time the does are worried what's behind them VS what they are walking into during this time. Unfortunately the land I do have to hunt has no food sources and is mainly grazing land and tough to pattern, the deer are there but not as predicable as the drawing above might be. GL and enjoy the challenge. dukgnfsn

Bri-guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's a tough spot for a stand. How do you get to it without bumping deer from the prairie land? Or is it pasture that has been chewed down? How thick is that shelter belt? That intersection with the shelter belt/prairie/ag should be a great spot that you can access without going through potential bedding areas. Without knowing where the deer are coming from it's impossible to saw what wind would be best with your current location.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Without knowing anything else but the prevailing winds of ND, which are NW or N during the majority of hunting season. I would look at putting a stand at the SE corner of that secluded grassy area where the trees, the secluded grassy area, the open grassy area, and the ag field meet. Lots of edges for the deer to travel and if the river is too deep or big to cross they will tend to bed near the river or in those grassy areas and use the trees to get to the ag field to feed. Access to the stand can be from across the ag field after harvest or along the trees from the south. Yes you may bump a deer or two from the trees, but you won't bugger up the bedding area. Too many variables as have been mentioned to make any more of a guess than that. Good Luck!! Looks like a potentially great location.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would put up 4 stands up. One in each corner of the center grassy area, then it doesn't matter what way the wind blows.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Put it up on the east edge someplace with a big ass pile of corn 20 yards west of you and your ozonics covering your down wind side at all times.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
With what you presented (and didn't present) that wouldn't be my first choice of stand location.

Are there any good trails crossing the river/creek?

Just going in with no other info I would pick a spot east of your arrow. Put it in the section of trees that has the prairie to the east and to the west. Access via ag field to the SE. This spot has potential for 3 different natural funnels that converge in one area and gives you an access from an ag field that shouldn't be a major bedding area.

Last edited:

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here is an updated drawing. I believe the deer bed in the bottom right (SE). The orange are food plots I put in. I have 3 stand set up across the N side because I thought that would reduce pressure on bedded deer and more importantly the property line removes my ability to put up a stand in trees on the S side.

Its a fairly shallow river. in the spring it'll get 10+ ft deep (without flooding) but right now it is between 2-4ft. I have seen deer cross this while in my stand. be they prefer to cross in the NW corner of NE corner. I have always wondered my wind. In the center it is a S wind for sure, the E stand is a N/NW/W/SW wind. I just don't know about the W stand. My access is pretty limited. I have been trying to convince my wife to drive me out in a vehicle, but with 4 kids she hasn't been willing to.

Bow Stand.jpg

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
You have a google earth image of the place? That might tell more of the info. How do you current access the stands? If it's from the east and NE I don't think I would even put a stand on the west side of the property like that. If I did I would only access it by crossing the river in waders or hip boots. Otherwise your going to blow out your entire property after a sit or two if you have to come from the east. Might still get some shots at some does, but would be surprised if a mature buck stuck around.

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seems like since you don't seem to have bucks that bed by your place, the bucks would likely come from the North or South along the river edge to stay out of sight. Or I could seem them bedding across the river along the river edge since there isn't much to your west and north other than open field and then crossing over the river to your food plots. I've walked that river edge (west side of the river) straight west of your place all the way up to the curve in the river, and the river edge is thicker in a few spots than it looks. There are a couple low spots there too that deer would bed. I would think the only other option is that they would cross just south of your neighbor's place and hit your trees to the west of your house and then circle back to your food plots. I would be surprised if they cross open fields during daylight hours unless chasing. In my spot, they always seem to follow the river or they cross the open field to the south that's out of the line of sight from the road.

- - - Updated - - -

You have a google earth image of the place? That might tell more of the info. How do you current access the stands? If it's from the east and NE I don't think I would even put a stand on the west side of the property like that. If I did I would only access it by crossing the river in waders or hip boots. Otherwise your going to blow out your entire property after a sit or two if you have to come from the east. Might still get some shots at some does, but would be surprised if a mature buck stuck around.

I would agree with Pluckem. Seems like best option would be stands more on the east side and not having to cross your whole property to get to your stands.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
You have nice map drawing skills. This may be more for guns but I like to know where they bed/run for shelter and be set up for arrival/ exit. I feel good to go as long as I'm not directly upwind of the cover. It usually requires a N/S set up. Pard and I also use wind for a calm drive. Driver just barely breaches the covert and allows the wind to do the work. Many times they just lope out a bit perturbed but not in abject terror with hanging tongues. I HATE seeing deer like that.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 166
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76