Keep an eye to the north

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well if the forecast holds there might be a fairly substantial snow storm hitting Saskatchewan and Manitoba mid week. Some northern spots could get up to 8 inches of snow with highs all the way down to Regina barely getting above freezing for two days. I doubt this will trigger the main push by any means but it's likely going to speed up the snows some and definitely get the weaker birds on the move. This is a fairly similar set up to a few years back when we got covered in specks for weeks. Specks are by far the wimps of the goose world so here's hopping they make a showing in real numbers this year.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn't mind whackin' a well barred up speck!! Not in the least!! I've never even seen one while sitting in the blind so here's to hoping for a chance.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah they tend to run down the river so don't make it east very far. We get them most years out here but normally it's a 50 here 200 there kind of thing. The year I talk about though they were the most common goose for a couple weeks with some flocks in the 10,000 range where we were hunting. It was a fun couple weeks to say the least and was very convenient since right as they started to pull out the snows showed up in force filling the mid October lull with some awesome hunts!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep we had some awesome spec hunting that year here to. It was the last time I plucked a bird they sure do roast up nice.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking good so far this is 30 miles SE of Saskatoon.

BLS_1_zpsyrbuesv4.jpg

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
02-17-16 004.jpgchase a few of those over the years taste like any other goose, most of the time when I would see them was late sept.early oct. then over.

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_2740_filtered.jpgchase a few of those over the years taste like any other goose, most of the time when I would see them was late sept.early oct. then over.

I disagree specs are the besting eating of all the geese I have ate and I have ate many geese.... pretty much lived on goose meat for a few years!

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most guys prefer specks over other geese but it's not a huge difference. Although if they are feeding on peanuts they taste like shit!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 166
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76