Great Start to the Bow Season!!

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I am doing a post, and a product review in one.

I have been fortunate enough this year to have a great start to the archery season. Last night I filled my 3rd doe reduction tag of the year(mmm, back straps). The doe I shot last night may have been the dumbest doe I've ever seen, and I probably did the dear population a favor by removing her from breeding.

So the story goes(cliff notes version), she comes down the trail from the north. I set my pin for 20 yards(single pin adjustable) as she is inside of 20 yards. She finally offers a shot, and the 1st shot sails right under her, a clean miss. She runs off to the dirt road on the edge of the trees that I'm in. Heads east and gives me another opportunity. I range the middle of the road at 55yds, set my pin, draw, stop her and fire. 0-2 as the arrow sails right over her back. :mad: She then runs east, changes directions north for about 80 yds, then a minute later heads back west, and then south. She has just made a huge circle and is coming back down a trail and gives me a third shot at 40, that I finally didn't miss on. Talk about amateur hour. Shooting 33% last night = bush league!! But I did get my tag on her. Dumb doe.

Now for the product review. I have used the NAP Killzone Maxx on all three does this year, and let me tell you, this broad head is nothing short of amazing. Punches a MASSIVE hole. I have had two exit holes that you could put a baseball in(dirty mike can attest this). Two does went less than 30 yards, and the third doe(double lung shot) went 60. Blood trails are ridiculous!!! I would highly recommend them. I don't shoot an extremely fast bow, chrono'd at 273fps, but I shoot a heavy arrow, 496grains. Gives me the momentum I need for this wide cut.

Second review: Helios G Lighted nock
-Do not buy this!! I repeat, DO NOT BUY THIS JUNK!! Before season I installed them as recommended. The fletching does not work and could not get a fixed or mechanical to fly straight. They were 4" off from my field tips or other broad heads with my blazer veins at 20 yds. So I took the fletch off, put my blazer helical fletch back on and just used the lighted nock. They now flight straight. However, on the 3 does mentioned above, the lighted nocks have all broke off on impact with the deer. I have lost 2 of the three arrows because of it. Now I know what you are thinking, why keep using the nocks if they break? After the first two I switched out a couple of them, but the new nocks were on the first two arrows that missed. The third arrow still had a Helios, damnit!

In review: Killzone Maxx, multiple thumbs up. Helios Lighted Nocks=Complete waste of money!

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
I want to start using lighted knocks. What's the opinion on the ones out there? What's the most reliable?

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got the helios ones too and don't like them... switched to the lumenok this year and the only issue I have is I need the puller to reset the light (and I do not have one yet)

from my research the lumenok and firenock are the top but nockturnals and nock outs are supposed to be good too

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have used nockturnals in the past, the only reason I switched to the Helios this year is because I switched to micro diameter arrows and had a hard time finding a nock to fit. I found out that nockturnal does make one to fit my arrows and will be switching back. They are just awesome. Never had an issue with them breaking, malfunctioning and they turn off super easy.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
nocturnals were really awesome before rage bought them. the pos that broke into my garage made away with all of mine and I haven't replaced them yet.

Coyote Hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
+1 for Nockturnals...

A couple years back I had problems with the plastic stretching in the throat of the nock, and it wouldn't clip tight to my string. It appears the new design has fixed that. No problems since...

Get the red nocks, it is the easiest to see in flight.

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nockturnals for me. Best ones I have used yet. Never had any issues with them.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74