Refurbished Graphs?

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've always winced a bit when I see refurbished graphs for sale. But for 50 percent the new price, I'm definitely considering this one from Lowrance: http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/prod...d=0&itemGUID=9a3f1bc0ac108450258a2c69c2029f9a

I know there are new models, but I've heard great things bout Chirp.

Plus, I have a tiny 16-foot Alumacraft Classic Deluxe. A 5-inch graph is about all my single-console will hold.

So, anyone have experience with factory refurbished graphs? This worth the price, or am I going to have nothing but headaches to look forward to?

Note: I'm replacing 90s-era Eagle graphs. At this point, literally anything is an upgrade.

JB_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have bought a terrova and a HDS Gen II graph refurbished & saved a ton of money by doing so. I've never had any issues with either of them. I like to think that after the factory goes through them to fix the bugs, that the refurbished units are better than the brand new ones. Typically they have some type of short warranty with them too.

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've bought many refurbished electronics over the years and have never had any issues with them. From what I have heard many things classified 'refurbished' are actually just store returns that someone decided they didn't like and brought back with nothing wrong. The stores can't legally put them back on the shelf so back to the supplier they go where they are checked and tested and resold as refurbished. I wouldn't be afraid to buy one.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
So you guys are saying I should buy one.

Well, what's the point of saving money if you don't spend some once and awhile??

- - - Updated - - -

There's also this little number: http://www.cabelas.com/product/barg...N-1102644/Ns-MAX_SALE_PRICE%7C1?WTz_stype=GNU

$200 off the new price, but double what I'd be paying for the Elite 5 Chirp. And I'm not sure it would fit on my console.

Stil...7 inches. Everyone loves 7 inches (insert "that's what she said" joke)

REY_off

Founding Member
Founding Member
We bought an Elite 7 HDI the first year they came out. It's a decent/good graph, but it's start up time is slow, and it isn't the fastest response when switching between pages. The GPS doesnt update quite fast enough when zoomed way in and traveling at WOT. It's rare that I am zoomed in that far for that to become a problem, but it's annoying none the less. I have updated it and tried my hardest to adjust the settings, but I still cant get the sonar to do what I've seen the HDS models do. The 7 inch wide screen is better for splitting up GPS, Sonar, Downscan than the HDS 7 though IMO.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
We bought an Elite 7 HDI the first year they came out. It's a decent/good graph, but it's start up time is slow, and it isn't the fastest response when switching between pages. The GPS doesnt update quite fast enough when zoomed way in and traveling at WOT. It's rare that I am zoomed in that far for that to become a problem, but it's annoying none the less. I have updated it and tried my hardest to adjust the settings, but I still cant get the sonar to do what I've seen the HDS models do. The 7 inch wide screen is better for splitting up GPS, Sonar, Downscan than the HDS 7 though IMO.

Thanks for this. I actually was reading reviews and the 7 is mediocre or less, at best. The 5 seems to be pretty top notch.

I think I'll get the 5. It'll fit better in my boat, anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Aaaand they're sold out. Eff. Me.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
As long as they have some sort of warranty and you are able to use them through out the warranty period you should be ok. Electronics either work or they don't. If you can save some money and they aren't physically beat up

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 75