Ammo ?

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Finally pulled a buck tag after 6 years.:;:rockitI have a 270 WSM, stainless with synthetic stock, and a 300 WSM, stainless with a wood stock. Both are Tikka's. I have shot deer with the 270, but have only shot 3 shells through the 300. Thinking I am going to use the 300 this year just because. The ammo I use\have for both guns is Winchester Ballistic Silver Tips, 130 grain for the 270, and 150 grain for the 300. I know little to nothing about ammo. Before I site in the 300, my question to all you ammo heads is, is this a good ammo to use, or should I be using something different? Thanks!

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Best thing to do is just go shoot! If they group well then roll with it. It will definitely do the job on deer and elk. If your ever gonna chase moose I'd go with a heavier bullet in that 300.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's good stuff. Caliber in/quarter out IME. My go to for deer before Fusion

- - - Updated - - -

I've perforated ribs from real close to 125ish or so. All deer I killed with this round were broadside and exhibited the same wound. The bullet doesn't blow up IME.

- - - Updated - - -

--wound same as Fusion: Went from .50 cent piece groups to a .50 cal hole and switched.

- - - Updated - - -

I also just realized Fusion was the first ammo I shot after getting Baby tweaked and haven't bothered with anything else. Got a little tub of rds for plinking and bbl fouling. Not a damn thing wrong with WBST's for deer.

At all.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a load worked up for my .270 WSM also in a tikka. If you would like some, you're free to try them.

- - - Updated - - -

The first time I shot them, I was 4" high at 100 when I was sighted in with fusions. They group unbelievably and will necessitate a new barrel/rifle eventually.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you see problems getting the 300 to shoot a group we'll, I would try switching to 180's. the 30 caliber guns shooting at really high velocities may require a heavier bullet.

Actually a heavier bullet is longer as well. This it what you are really after with the added weight in a 30 caliber. Lower weighted bullets have a tendancy to tumble. But if your gun likes them than stick with em.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
150's are fine with that 300 win, my sniper rifle in the Marine Corps was a MK248 mod1 , aka 300 winmag and yes we shot 150's and 168's through it. Speed kills but that 300 winmag isn't exactly fast, 150's will do everything you want and then some, let me know if you want some recipes for 168 Berger VLD's as I've shot more of those things than I care to remember.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks guys, I will keep all this in mind when sighting it in. Reading Dirty's post, this is my next question, is it ok to use a cheaper ammo to do the initial site in, to get it close, and then shoot the BST's to get to get it zeroed in. The Winchester BST's are $42.00 a box. Just asking.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tikkalover, I wouldn't hesitate to do that. Then you can shoot the more expensive stuff for groups. Who knows, the cheaper stuff might surprise you and group really well too.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
DI and KW are correct.

Last edited:

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks guys, I will keep all this in mind when sighting it in. Reading Dirty's post, this is my next question, is it ok to use a cheaper ammo to do the initial site in, to get it close, and then shoot the BST's to get to get it zeroed in. The Winchester BST's are $42.00 a box. Just asking.

This will work to get it on paper and in the neighborhood, but don't be surprised if the BSTs group several inches in any direction from the cheaper rounds, even with the same bullet weight. Whatever you do, don't sight in with one kind and then 'save' another for hunting.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a load worked up for my .270 WSM also in a tikka. If you would like some, you're free to try them.

This is a generous offer, but you have to be careful. A hand load that's fine in one gun could be over pressure in another, even the same make / model.

- - - Updated - - -

Who knows, the cheaper stuff might surprise you and group really well too.

True story. It doesn't pay for me to reload my 223, so I shoot factory stuff. I found the American Eagle 50gr varmint tip shoots better than anything at ~$10 a box.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My 300 win mag likes the cheap 150 gr. bullets by federal, anything high priced like accubond or 180 gr, it will not group at all.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 114
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69