Recipe: Spicy Duck Sausage

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
[h=1]Recipe: How to Make Spicy Duck Sausage[/h]
by David Draper

WC_106.15.JPG

Sausage is an overlooked way to prepare waterfowl, but it’s great for dealing with difficult flavors, such as those from divers. Of course, there’s no reason you can’t use mallard either, just save the breasts for the grill and use the leg meat instead. One mixed, you can use it in any number of ways. My go to is breakfast patties, but don’t be afraid to stuff this into casings and grill them for a great game-day meal, use it as a stuffing for peppers or mushrooms, or even as a substitute for ground meat in tacos.
Ingredients
2 ½ pounds duck breasts
2 ½ pounds pork shoulder
3 jalapeños, diced
3 Tbsp. kosher salt
1 Tbsp. smoked paprika
1 tsp. white pepper
½ tsp. allspice
½ tsp. nutmeg
¼ cup dry milk powder
½ to 1 cup ice water
Directions
1. Combine the duck and pork in large tub or bowl. Whisk the dry ingredients together, then distribute evenly over meat. Mix thoroughly.
2. Grind the meat through a large die. Change to a smaller die, and run half of the meat back through the grinder.
3. Add a ½ cup ice water to the ground meat, and mix thoroughly with your hands until the ground meat starts getting sticky and forms a bind. Add more water if necessary.
4. Package the fresh sausage as is, stuff into casings, or form into patties and freeze between layers of waxed paper for a quick, easy breakfast.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody daring enough to try this on some diver ducks?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Divers, or any duck/goose for that matter, marinated in Teriyaki sauce, Olive Oil, and a bit of minced garlic overnight and grilled over a hot fire pretty much exclude the need to be daring. It's just plain good.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm more in the KD camp (I think alliteration is gay). Make the product taste better instead of dilution: Not saying the sausage is bad V...

- - - Updated - - -

In fact KD's tech didn't have a thing to do with sausage but may improve.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Looks like a good recipe. I have made tons (the plural may be a slight exaggeration) of sausage from waterfowl. Makes excellent sausage. Have made everything from breakfast patties, stuffed, brats, to summer sausage. It's all good and a great way to use the waterfowl if you are a serious hunter of waterfowl. After all, it's a chore to eat about 100 ducks and geese which can happen with a few good days.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
We eat our ducks so fast I literally never have enough to make sausage. My 3-year-old is a carnivore and his favorite dinner is grilled duck.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
Divers, or any duck/goose for that matter, marinated in Teriyaki sauce, Olive Oil, and a bit of minced garlic overnight and grilled over a hot fire pretty much exclude the need to be daring. It's just plain good.

I agree with the exception of old squaws. Ever been out to the Great Lakes or Alaska and shot one? They're an absolute blast to hunt but taste just terrible.

I agree though that if you just put a little effort into it, ducks can be very tasty.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67