Need youth stock for Howa 1500 long action

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok, so am I Google illiterate today, or is there no such thing as a youth stock for a long action (25-06), Smith and Wesson Model 1500 (aka Howa 1500) rifle?

I have a tried and true rifle that I love and would like for it to be available to my girlfriend for deer hunting but the stock is just too damn long of pull. I've been looking, but the only smaller stocks I've been able to find have been for short action rifles. Anyone out there know where I can find a shortened stock for youth/petite female?

Guess I could just always buy another rifle, but I'd love to have the 25-06 train in yet another new hunter.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you love the rifle i wouldnt go messing with it. Who knows how long a girlfriend will last but guns are forever! Pick up a new rifle with a shorter stock and if it doesnt work out pick up a regular stocj and you got your self a new toy.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_5409.jpg

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
LOL, both are quality options. I had thought about getting a 243, but would prefer to get her a little experience hunting/shooting before delving into a pricey option.

I may end up going the saw route, simply for the above reason. That, and the stock that's currently on it wasn't all the expensive.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have no idea what your current stock is like but if you like the stock you could look at an even cheaper stock and cut that off to install and you still have your current stock for later.

Just for my interest why would you be looking at a .243 when you have the .25-06. There are a lot of similarities such as lower recoil etc. but the .25-06 would be much better for deer size game in my opinion. You may now start the arguments in favor of one caliber over the other.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
R E, the 243 is a short action rifle cartridge, and as such it seems to be only the short actions that tend to get put into the shorter length of pull rifle offerings at the factories. I really like the 25-06 and have been shooting that rifle for some 24 years now. It's put a lot of deer in the freezer.

I guess I am just now learning something I had never noticed before.

The suggestion is a valid one, take the current stock and cut it down. It's a fairly inexpensive synthetic stock that I put on the rifle a few years ago, and would probably have to verify first that it doesn't have a hollow end to where I'd be cutting into a void and have nothing left to mount a recoil pad to. The original wood stock developed a crack near the barrel groove and ended up producing a wandering aim point.

I just thought this wouldn't be such a darn big deal. Buy a new, shorter stock and swap it out. Guess I was wrong. :;:huh

- - - Updated - - -

p.s. There are some really nice adjustable stocks out there in the $500-800 range, but that seems like a bit too much when I can get a whole 'nother bang stick for the same price, or less.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 118
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69