Remote Car Starter

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I work in a brick building and park 100 yards from my office. I would like to start my truck without even standing up. Which starter should I get (Astro or Compustar perhaps)? What range do I need? Can I start it using my phone instead of carrying yet another thing on my key chain? Thanks.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a compustar 2 Way, by far the best one I have ever had. No issues with block walls or metal buildings. Not a fan of the astro start I had years back. The last 4 I have had installed are compustar and the next one will be computer. Just remember to use lithium batteries.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I bought my most recent astro-start (I've had a few), I looked into getting it set up to work with my phone. It was an extra monthly fee, if I remember correctly, like on-star, so I chose not to go that route.

Just get one that pages you back, so you don't have to wonder if your vehicle is actually running. I do like that feature.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I suggest NOT getting the one I have. I'd have to look what brand it is though, it was one I got from Theel in Bismarck for my Toyota 4Runner. It works just fine, I just HATE a couple of the "features". 1. It locks the damn doors when you push the start button. This sucks when you start the car in prep for taking the kids to school and they head out to the car to get in and can't because the doors are locked. For Christ's sake, if I wanted the doors locked, I would LOCK them. 2. Only the autostart's remote will unlock the doors if I use the autostart. So the factory Toyota remote door unlock button on the key itself is now incapable of unlocking the damn doors.

Other than that it's fine. :mad:

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an Astro-Start 2-way with screen display...I work in concrete building and have to park in parking ramp next door...I can start mine from my desk. It also has rechargeable battery which I wasn't quite sure of at first but now I kind of like it

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reviving old thread, in the market for a starter. What places in Bis are recommended for install and I dont need bells and whistles, just need car to start within reasonable distances... What make/model have you had luck with or hated, so I know to avoid!

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Premier or Best Buy. I’m shopping around for one as well. Haven’t seen anything that really stands out. My viper has worked well for almost 10 years with the exception of the remotes being so damn fragile.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I ended up getting a Compustar 902 from Pacific Sound last year. $500. We work in the same building, Lycan, and I can start my truck from my cubicle. Love it. Pacific Sound was easy to work with. I'm actually having them put a Compustar G15 in the daughters car on Tuesday, she needs a little more range than I do.

REY_off

Founding Member
Founding Member
Automotive Addictions.

My parents rececntly had one installed by rides and it started acting up. Rides couldnt figure it out so they sent them to Automotive Addictions and they found that Rides wired it wrong. Very good customer service.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67