Wood or synthetic stock?

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
This pains me: Wood stocks make no sense on a rifle except for beauty in these times. They can not be sealed against weather. Damn that hurt.

Last edited:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shoot wood stocks because I like'em. However, synthetic stocks eliminate many of the variables that wood bring to the table when attempting precision long range shooting. Pick the stock material that fits your hunting style the best. I'd rather get closer so wood works just fine for me.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm with KDM and SVEN

I don't like them cause I feel like an idiot if I scratch one up some how. all but 1 of my guns are black synthetic. only wood stock is an old 572 remington 22lr

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
My guns are tools, I take care of them but they get used. I like the looks of wood by cry when it scratches! Synthetic is tough and I don't worry about it getting beat up.

I will purchase a new 870 Wingmaster with a nice wood stock. Some nostalgic value to that one, but they sure are nice.

ISELLGUNS

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like wood. I'm very careful with most of my guns. My 20+ year old Rem. 7600 looks almost new yet.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also, I ASSumed the the OP is about bolt guns.

One another note, who cares if you scratch the hell out out a parkerized synthetic stocked gun? Looks better IMHO and spray paint is always an option. In later years, I've become to appreciate the rifle as a tool not an ornament to be mollycoddled. This makes me a bit sad. I love gazing upon a rich blue; fading over years: All the nicks in the wood are a memory. I remember when I first got Baby; my pard's dad told me I should throw it in a shale pile. I'm glad I didn't as I would have less prominent memories on stand.

From a practical standpoint the same can happen with plastic, paint and a protected/concentric oriented
muzzle.

Wood is sentimental, beautiful and warm. Plus; it kills trees, destroys the Earth and pisses off Al Gore.

Last edited:

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shotgun, who cares, I still use a 1950's A5 magnum and it goes bang, bang, bang every time. Rifle, synthetic all the way especially if you're anal with sub moa accuracy.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I saved up to splurge on a Benelli M2, I knew I wanted a synthetic stock. For the amount of abuse my shotguns get, a wood stock and blued barrel would have been toast after the first season.

But my old Remington 700 in Turty-Ought-Six has a beautiful wood stock. I use it at the range occasionally and for a couple days each fall, max. Yes, I am one of THOSE deer hunters. But while it doesn't get as much use as my shotguns, it is one of my most cherished possessions. It has a few gouges and scratches (which happen in the deer woods) but I feel it gives it the scars one would expect out of a warhorse hunting rifle that's seen almost two decades of deer openers, and counting.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
For me there is no argument on which is better for all types of hunting. Based on that I would take synthetic. However, there is just something about a nice wood-grained stock on a gun. Love the look and feel. For the shooting I do I've never had a problem with accuracy on wood-grained gun. Long range for me is in the 400-500 yd area and haven't hunted in conditions where my gun was going to get so soaked that I'd worry about swelling of the stock. So for me, it's wood.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Synthetic and Stainless, every day of the week and twice on sunday. Runner up is laminate, it is stronger and resists moisture better than plain wood.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rifles are synthetic.
22 is a wood stock Henry
Shotguns are both 870 express, but we dont care when the wood on those gets damaged. Mine looks like it been drug for miles, and it has.
However my SxS is deep polished walnut with satin blued barrels. she is purdy. but she gets babied

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When I bought most of my guns they had wood stocks, but I have replaced most with black so I don't screw up the wood. Next owner will have 2 of every stock except for my Henrys, they are all original, Some still hid in closet in their original boxes.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I can understand non-wood stocks but

Guns that I have and prefer to buy and shoot were made long before synthetic was around and just have no interest in changing. But have upgraded some with higher quality wood.
I put a ram on the hood of my 97 dodge cummings 3/4 ton 5 speed 4.10 gears with positive traction on all four and the gas mileage improved considerably along with the power. Chevys have tried to out pull me with no success. However synthetic will not do that for a rifle.

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
For a working gun, synthetic is better, but only if it's rigid. Many of the synthetic stocks on factory rifles can be accurately described as "Tupperware." They don't have to get damp for an impact change, they are bad all the time. Laminated wood feels "warm" like walnut, but it's heavy. Really stiff synthetic stocks aren't cheap, so are seldom seen on rifles on your dealer's display racks. Walnut can be made water resistant by applying wax to the stock's interior, under the barrel and action.
Your choice, but I like the warmer feel of a walnut stock against my face.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyways, STOCKS are made of wood.

- - - Updated - - -

Dave Petzal did a great article a couple years ago. Walnut CAN'T be truly sealed.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67