gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Any thoughts on the 9 man playoffs?

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hoping new Salem goes far. Shiloh looks good. Center missed out on the playoffs again. 11 years running

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
New Salem is in our bracket so I hope they don;t go too far...............:)

St Johns is the first step.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
We are in the Mohall school district so Mohall, Lansford, and Sherwood. Unfortunately the last couple years we have a bit of a weak region. Don't get the tests during the season. The boys are playing well, will have to see if they stack up. Came back against a pretty good passing team in Kenmare and shut them down the 2nd half to win. Of course as a Dad whos kid is playing I think we are a pretty good team, good size and tough defense so far. Some pretty good backs to carry the ball. I think we can get St Johns but it will be a tough game

- - - Updated - - -

I know there was a few injuries and mishaps in New Salems region with some teams, are they the real deal some seem to think?

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
They're on their 3rd or 4th running back. I don't even know which regions have which teams. Seems to have changed quite a bit over the last few years. I think center is going to 6 man next year.

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
Things will shake out a little after this Saturday. I don't think Shiloh will have an easy game. Wyndmere is supposed to be tough. Not real sure with Thompson either. Other than them a Cavalier, I think their region is kind of weak. They were supposed to be real tough in 2013 too and we beat them then. Just never know when playoffs start to mix up regions.

norm70

Founding Member
Founding Member
We are in the Mohall school district so Mohall, Lansford, and Sherwood. Unfortunately the last couple years we have a bit of a weak region. Don't get the tests during the season. The boys are playing well, will have to see if they stack up. Came back against a pretty good passing team in Kenmare and shut them down the 2nd half to win. Of course as a Dad whos kid is playing I think we are a pretty good team, good size and tough defense so far. Some pretty good backs to carry the ball. I think we can get St Johns but it will be a tough game

- - - Updated - - -

I know there was a few injuries and mishaps in New Salems region with some teams, are they the real deal some seem to think?

Good luck to MLS this weekend. The HC is my little brother. I have yet to decide if I am going to make the 6 hour drive to the game. Might listen on the radio and go fishing.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
9-Man is so hard to predict. Every region has 1 or 2 good teams and then the talent generally falls way off. That and there aren't many common opponents to compare with.

What it seems to generally be true is that in 9-Man, speed is the key. Same size field as 11-Man and 2 less defenders. For the most part there will be a lot more scoring in 9-Man. Nonetheless, a good defense creates problems for some high-scoring teams as they are not used to being held in check and sometimes get frustrated.

You will also see some really talented players at the 9-Man level. The difference is that in the larger schools they obviously have more kids to pick from so overall the talent level is higher. Individually there are 9-Man players every bit as good as the bigger schools.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Good luck to MLS this weekend. The HC is my little brother. I have yet to decide if I am going to make the 6 hour drive to the game. Might listen on the radio and go fishing.

Cale has done a great job with his weight lifting program building some pretty strong players. Pretty dedicated kids going year round. That kinda thing is the start of building a good program.

My son is one of his running backs, just switched over to that position last year. A couple 1000 yard seasons running behind pretty darn good blockers and a strong line. Power football......Fun to watch.

Last year ran into a strong Richardton/Taylor team that was well coached and a great back in the Colgrove kid. Kinda got away from our power running game and came up short. Hope the boys can take a few more steps towards their goal this year as the kid is a senior, so no more "next year".

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Man I love this time of year. Hunting and high school football. I mainly watch the AAA schools because that's were my kid played but usually
will get out to Towner and watch a TGU game now and then.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
love following all the levels. watched my brother in law ( wifes baby brother) win it all with century last year. grew up small town ND so single A and 9 man attract my attention as well.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
love following all the levels. watched my brother in law ( wifes baby brother) win it all with century last year. grew up small town ND so single A and 9 man attract my attention as well.

I was at the state final game. That was a good game with Centuty. My son was full back and middle linebacker with Minot

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was at the state final game. That was a good game with Centuty. My son was full back and middle linebacker with Minot

im sure he met my brother in law a few times then....he played RB and WR, plays for MSUM now actually is playing quite a bit for a true freshman

- - - Updated - - -

I was alos at the game. I wont forget it for 2 reason A) it was a great game B) my wife tagged out on her mule deer ( my avatar) the night prior she had this great idea to rip camp down and drive the 4.5 hours to fargo to watch the game that evening. with a quick pit stop to get her meat and head in the deep freeze........things guys do for there wives holy cow was I dragging ass that night....I made her drive home.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Awesome. My Son knows a couple Century guys quite well. He's a linebacker at UND now. As a freshman he is not playing yet

Update

just figured out who you were talking about. He knows Zack very well. They have been to football camps together. He's a great kid and a very good athlete

Last edited:

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
It has been fun watching him play over the years. Been too quite a few of the minot/century games and always fun to watch. There in Bismarck taking on the marauders this wknd so I'll get to see his first college one in person.

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
How did everyone's Saturday go? We won so it was a good day here.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Congrats on the win. Our day didn;t end so well. For some reason after marching down the field and punching the ball in on an 8 minute drive the first possession (which is the power football MLS has played for two years and won games) we switched to a passing game early in the game which we probably had not run 25 snaps on all season during games. Expecting receivers to be in time with a offense and catch the ball in a play off game situation like that when they have not been given the chance in the regular season out side a handful of snaps.................

Still scratching my head about that. Did the very same thing against Richardton last year in the play offs and lost then as well.

IT was a hard played very physical game, St Johns quarterback hides the ball exceptionally well on a fake to their 240 lb fullback but our defensive plan apparently did not consider an assignment of a linebacker to put the kid in the grass on every play whether he had the ball or not. That one play was the difference and we were not able to make the adjustment from the sideline to stop it.

WE had one touchdown called back on a block in the back that had nothing to do with the scoring run (mental lapse) and St John held for a turn over on downs after the penalty and also later in the game had a ref come from the far sideline to over turn another touchdown run that the side judge literally 5 feet away from the pylon and play signaled a touchdown. The other ref from the far side apparently saw a fumble (the ball was in the players outstretched hand crossing the plane inside the pylon and the ground inside the goal line caused the fumble) overturned the touchdown call and gave possession to St John.

Two other interceptions sealed the deal.

Sad to see my sons senior season end on that note but that is high school sports. Was very proud of him as his Grandma had passed away the Weds before the game and he handled himself with a great deal of class after the game.

Good luck to the teams remaining.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
We have young coaches, but they need to start figuring things out. They do a nice job with the kids, but it is like they panic in play off games. We have a weaker region so we don;t get tested as much. My son is their main running back and carried the ball for close to 1200 yards playing 22 quarters this year. Most games the starters were out in the 2nd quarter.

He was averaging almost 10 yards a carry. So when we run into a tough team and suddenly we are only getting 4 or 5 yards a carry they seem to panic and think the other team has stopped the run game. WE have 3 senior running backs that are all good backs.

When we played Kenmare this year, the first half we came out passing, basically playing the offense Kenmare saw every day in practice. At half we were down 8 - 18. We came out the 2nd half and never threw a pass and ran 3 beautiful drives to score just hammering the ball down their throat and used a lot of clock and kept Kenmare off the field. Held them scoreless the 2nd half to win. I thought maybe they had it figured out then.

Anyways shes said and done. Will be fun to see if Kenmare can get by North Prairie. The Rodine kid is a hell of a passer if he gets time and Jez and his brother (Rodine) and the St Croix kid have good hands. I think St John will have to play a hell of a game to get past New Salem.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 56