svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
From "Twitch":

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by guywhofishes
recipe please!

and thumbs up for dark beer

A few hours before I'm making this I take however many dumplings out that I think I will need to feed whoever I'm cooking for. I usually take the easy road and use the Rhodes brand dinner rolls. When they have risen I sauté some onion in a pan and when the onion is good to go I add the dumplings to the pan and add some water and a little more oil. I then cover the pans and usually try to use a pan with a glass lid so I have a chance to see what's going on. If you lift the lid before all the water is cooked off your dumplings will fall and turn into flat little rocks so don't lift the lid until the liquid is cooked off. In the meantime in an electric skillet I brown some onion in some oil and then when the onion is ready add the pheasant and grouse. When the birds are cooked through I add heavy whipping cream and warm until it's heated through without boiling the cream. When it's heated through and you're sure you've cooked the liquid off the dumplings I put however many dumplings I want on a plate along with some of the birds and spoon some of the cream over the dumplings. It's far from diet food and getting the dumplings in between flat rocks and burnt takes a little practice but it is a meal fit for a king!

Sounds damn fine to me!!

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dumplings ;:;barf:bigpuke:

there are dense lumpy heavy ones (Germans from Russia around Underwood made them that way) that I do not like - at all

then again I have had some light fluffy ones in Germany, etc. that are to die for. I need to learn to make them and will give the recipe above a shot.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
i like the dense ones (almost like a round noodle), and the big fluffy ones. I do not discriminate when it comes to dumplings.

SerchforPerch

★★★ Legendary Member
The bisquick style dumplings around here are o.k., I prefer my familys authentic German potato (softball) dumplings the best

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
As a college lad I often enjoyed the light fluffy ones that came in Campbell's Chicken and Dumpling soup. I wonder how badly they have f'd those up since?

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
dumplings are easy and with a bit of seasoning mixed in, can be made to be quite tasty. gotta start small though. those things grow from swimming pool small to whisky and blue pills in a brothel large when cooked.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
download.jpg

I have had a lot of homemade dumplings and I still prefer these. Made in Lankin, ND and can find them at Hugos in GF. Boil for 35 minutes and done. I usually make them with Langdon Locker sausage. Cut the leftovers up into chunks and pan fry in the ice house with an onion cut up with the dumplings and sausage with a shit ton of butter. and beer.

stalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just add chopped up ham to this easy dry mix from Hugos. They have a different brand at Hornbachers that works great also. It's almost as good as my Mom's made from scratch with real potatoes.

klub.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 102
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67