Montana Bear

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry guys I posted on another thread and didn't realize that was bad etiquette.

I at last made it to Montana a couple weeks ago. There was snow at the higher elevations. We covered six different mountain ranges in three days. The first day was serious hunting, the second day we were just covering ground looking for good areas. The third day we did some calling, drove some really rough trails, then when we were about done and coming down off the mountains I shot a 20 year old sow without cubs.

I did goof a little. She didn't appear to react so I shot four times. Then I pushed the power of my scope up for a better look. She had died across a big log and probably died on the first shot. I have a little sewing to do because I hit her all four times.

We had to come back in the morning to pick her up. A guy and his girlfriend were sitting there waiting. He was the cattleman that leased and run cattle on the land and was watching the bear also. He had seen us shoot it the evening before. He said he had seen people shoot at animals and not come back and was going to pick up the bear if no one showed. He helped my son and his friend roll it down the mountain to me (heart is still bothering), skin and pack out. Then he called the biologist so I could check it out on Saturday and get back home. Nice couple.

We did see a sow with cubs in the Crazy Mountains. We also seen a herd of over 100 elk on a ranch on the east side. The cubs of that bear must have been late because they were not much bigger than large raccoons. The sow was small also.

I don't know the difference between a rancher and a cattleman, but this guy didn't not want to be called a rancher. Anyone have a clue?

I'll throw in a couple of pics.

20161005_120047_002.jpg20161007_172729_002.jpg20161008_093046.jpg

fnznfwl

Founding Member
Founding Member
A rancher tends to a ranch. a cattle man tends to cattle. Ted turner is considered a "rancher". Alot of people out there dont want to be associated with being a rancher. aka: all hat and no cowboy.

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
On behalf of GST and all other astute conservatives, I APPROVE of this message :;:thumbsup

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Congratulations on the bear PG. If you blow a call in that neck of the woods is there a chance of almost any type of feline or canine to come in, or not so much ? Do you ever find dens ?

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
What the hell is that behind you? A forest fire?!! Do you not GAF about the effing Earth while killing bears?!!

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
What the hell is that behind you? A forest fire?!! Do you not GAF about the effing Earth while killing bears?!!

:;:exactly flame throwers kill and cook at the same time. It's hard to get the seasoning on the bear if they are familiar with stop, drop, and roll.:) Seriously though the area did have a Forest fire about 15 years ago. I sure didn't want to try walk over across the canyon to the bear with the sun going down. That could get you a charcoal pungy stick in the face.

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Good story, and congrats on a great hunt and trophy. Want me to mail you some thread.:;:thumbsup

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good story, and congrats on a great hunt and trophy. Want me to mail you some thread.:;:thumbsup

I think it's going to take a couple feet of thread.

= Davey Crocket; Congratulations on the bear PG. If you blow a call in that neck of the woods is there a chance of almost any type of feline or canine to come in, or not so much ? Do you ever find dens ?

I have seen dens, but not on this trip. The guy who runs cattle on the area I shot the bear was going back to sit on the carcass (we boned it out) for a couple of days. He was sure a cougar or a bear would be on it within 24 hours. He says there are a lot more cats than people think.

My son who lives in Montana just purchased two treeing walkers, one which has already treed 30 cats. He also picked up two very nice horses and trailer. He is here in Jamestown this week-end so I am live trapping a couple of coons and we are going to put cougar scent on them tomorrow and let them go. The one dog is only about seven months old so it will be good for her to run with an experienced dog.

You know the crazy thing is I shot this bear 200 yards from the spot I sat last spring and had the snow move in on me. The cattleman said there were four or five bears in that area including a big blond.

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Because the new Hornady ELD-X bullet is new maybe some of you are interested in it's performance.

I was using a 300WSM with the new 178 gr Hornady ELD-X. Sort of a picky rifle, but with that bullet and R19 it gives me 3000 fps and groups .4 inches. It's an older Browning A Bolt. Lets see my wife gave it to me for our 32nd anniversary and we have been married 46 years now. So 14 years old I guess.
The distance was 396 yards. She was at a downward angle so with angle compensation 384 yards. Not a lot of difference. I thought I may be shooting over so shot low once. Notice her right foot has a hole in it. Needle and thread will fix it. I thought I was shooting over because my son seen dirt squirt on the backside of her once. I guess penetration is ok with that new bullet. I did find one bullet and it mushroomed perfectly. Maybe I'll go get it and take a tooth brush after it to clean it up then take a pic and post it.

Edit: The core separated from the jacket when I dropped it in the sink while cleaning it up. Getting close to coming apart I guess. At an elevation of 6000 ft impact velocity would be 2419 fps. Sure mushroomed a lot, but then it entered the left front shoulder and lodged under the skin of the right hind quarter. Low velocity maybe, but 300 lbs of bear is tough on a bullet. The bones of the upper left shoulder were pulverized. It will be my hardest sewing job.

Edit ----again: Retained weight was 124 gr or 69.66% of original weight.

20161020_102248.jpg

Last edited:

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Indeed,great story and great bear...Congrats.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have no desire to hunt bear.

Low T? :;:huh

I didn't either, until I did it. I do enjoy it, especially in the spring. Might miss out on a Turkey hunt or a little pan-fishing, but, for the most part the walleyes in lakes haven't really picked up yet and there's not a lot else going on. A guy sees LOTS of other critters while bear hunting in the spring. We saw a ton of big and healthy coyotes. Lots of deer, antelope, moose, and elk. All the critters are at the snow line which is also where the bears are thus where you're hunting. I'll do it again when vacation time lines up.

PG, congrats on the bear, I think overall success rate in MT is ~15% or so, definitely a tougher trophy than most. Pretty cool how old she was too, good herd management (grin).

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
:;:exactly flame throwers kill and cook at the same time. It's hard to get the seasoning on the bear if they are familiar with stop, drop, and roll.:) Seriously though the area did have a Forest fire about 15 years ago. I sure didn't want to try walk over across the canyon to the bear with the sun going down. That could get you a charcoal pungy stick in the face.

Isn't that pretty sparse for 15yrs? Not doubting you, just find it peculiar.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
It varies. Some 20 year old burns don't have a tree on them. Other five year old burns have two year old trees growing. I don't know what makes the difference.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't think I'd like to be in that area during heavy wind. 15yrs is a long time for a dead pine to stand...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 75