Hitting the woods Saturday!

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hate burning a bird hunting weekend to chase deer, but I'm planning on trying to fill my archery tag Saturday so we can get venison in the freezer. It was a long, long summer relying on one deer for the family, so hopefully if I can get it done and then fill my rifle tag on opener (Lord willing), we'll be sitting pretty.

I'm literally driving 2.5 hours and walking to a public land spot I've had luck at before without any scouting whatsoever. Crapshoot to say the least. In fact, I've never bowhunted before rifle season, so I'm not really sure what to expect.

What's the deer movement like this time of year? During rifle season, I pretty much sit and wait knowing that they move almost all day long depending on how many groups of hunters are pushing nearby land. So it'll be interesting to see what unpressured deer do for once. The hope is to get to the spot, set up my chair and be ready to go well before sunrise.

Also, crops: Where are they at? I know around Fargo the beans are done and they've hit the corn hard. Is that what most folks are seeing across the state? I'll be hunting near New Rockford.

Really don't care what I shoot as long as it's bigger than a fawn/yearling. Bringing the dogs, too, so if I tag out early we can chase ducks and partridge before heading home.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well I hope you don't have it going on in that area, but this time of year is known as the October lull. Most movement is nocturnal, at least the big boys. But if you have a crop field you may get lucky and find some does or smaller bucks. Another good area would be a creek or river bottom with trees. Deer will move in there for a few hours in the morning and evenings. Might get lucky and smoke a big one! Good luck!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is my least favorite weekend all fall. Public land bird hunting in both ND and MN is a complete and utter shit-show due to teachers break in ND, MN, and WI all landing on this same weekend.

But, between all the hunters and harvest going on deer behavior may line up in your favor.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
This spot is in the woods on a large tract of public property. If the tall crops are up, that's where the deer will be. If not, I'm hoping they're running the trails through the woods in the wee hours.

I care little about shooting a big antlered deer. I'm all about a 15-yard shot on a butterball basket rack or doe with a quick recovery and plenty of time to hang and butcher on Sunday.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can never figure out why they have teachers break during the school year.....why not hold these conventions in the summer, imo, just dumb. And yes, this thurdsay and friday will be a shit show out there somewhere, not really a big fan of hunting this weekend either. Was thinking of checking out some water holes up north..but now.....hmmmm...don't know.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I LOVE this weekend. Have valve stem tool......will travel!!!! Spot and Stalk is the only way to take non-residents.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't be afraid to do a little rattling, i've seen plenty of smaller bucks been sparring for a couple weeks already, got some pics of larger ones locking up at night too. I'm guessing you could get a small buck to get curious if in the right area.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone who thinks hunting now is a waste of time doesn't have a clue . October lull is a myth . My cameras have been on absolute fire since about oct 7th . Bucks everywhere , fighting on cam middle of day . Before oct 7 I was getting 50-100 pics a week of deer on average at my 9 camera locations , now it's more like 500-1000 , some with 1500 . Bucks bucks and more bucks . Big boys are still moving right at dark and right at sunrise but they are moving . 2 guys in our group have killed p&y deer since October started .

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone who thinks hunting now is a waste of time doesn't have a clue . October lull is a myth . My cameras have been on absolute fire since about oct 7th . Bucks everywhere , fighting on cam middle of day . Before oct 7 I was getting 50-100 pics a week of deer on average at my 9 camera locations , now it's more like 500-1000 , some with 1500 . Bucks bucks and more bucks . Big boys are still moving right at dark and right at sunrise but they are moving . 2 guys in our group have killed p&y deer since October started .

You just got my bow finger all twitchy...

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone heading to Mn for deer,bear or grouse be warned,the ticks are thick this year,maybe the worst ever,both "dog" ticks" and "deer ticks" Deer have been moving heavy low light periods early and late,beans are out some corn as well state wide.

Bri-guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Plenty of doe movement during the morning/evening. Most decent bucks are nocturnal and will likely stay that way until the end of the month. Smaller bucks will definitely be on the move. You can always get lucky and have some other hunter a 1/2 mile away bump a big buck while chasing birds and have one come by. If you have the right spot by food, I'm sure you'll have does and small bucks in range during low light.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74