Gun storage

Motohunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just wondering what everyone does to store their guns when not in use? I keep most in the safe but just wondering what the most effective way to keep them in good shape and rust free is. The problem I have is that they are kept in the basement which is quite humid and some of the guns are not used frequently so looking for a way to store some long term without constantly monitoring them. Any info would be great! Thanks!!

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dehumidifier in the utility room helps with ambient moisture. Also consider a decanter or goldenrod in your safe. Balastol or Remoil make for good metal protectants when in storage.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have always wondered how you route power into your safe to run a dehumidifier... doesn't drilling a hole change the fire rating?

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Mine are also in the basement and made a rack on one wall for them. Was able to inspect easy. But theft here is so bad I found myself buying a safe with maybe 2/3s of them in the safe with the rest chained to the wall. Craps one has to do this but maybe help in case of a fire.

But have same concern with using safe and I have had in my life a gun get some rust on the outside. But that was my fault for the way I took care of that rifle. Did wipe off with fine steel wool and oil. For the most part have not been over the hill on cleaning and wiping off before putting away. Main concern when bring into a warm room with the rifle coming from the cold outside. So will take, clean and wipe off after it sat for some time. But have had no problems with rust that I can see over many years with just some normal regular care. Now and then will wipe down and run a rod through the bore. Can buy a can to put in safe to help protect. One needs to INSPECT on a regular bascis to make sure one catches it before it starts.

Legion has a number of m-1s kept in a safe. Every time they use and bring back they just put back in the safe after running blanks through them. No one cleans or even wipes off. So every now and then, like maybe once every two years, me and another guy go take apart and clean but have seen no ill effect on the rifle. Bore always appears okay. But that's with the eye and not maybe inspected the way they should be.
They had the Krag rifle since the 1920s at the cabin with the same occasion care (for the most part none). Did sell and I got one. Bore looks great. Outside no pits but looks well used. Need to shoot to see.
Bought a model 73 this summer made in 1889. Outside looks good but not the bore. Cleaned and then cleaned and then cleaned some more. Shot at box at 25 yards. Group was bigger than a volley ball. Tried again and same. Cleaned some more and tried again and the same size group. Cleaned and tried again with same results. First time I every used black powder shells. After cleaning a few time I was done cleaning after using black powder shells. And I thought Winchesters were the best (rifle seen the wrong kind of care). db

- - - Updated - - -

After cleaning one day on my safe that was rated at some kind of burn protection, I found there were a couple of holes in the floor under the mat of the safe already. db

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
- - - Updated - - -

db2 I am betting you have a ding in your crown. Even rough bores should shoot better than that. You can use a brass polishing jag with 800 grit garnet and polish that without changing the looks of the rifle and it should do much better. Look at Brownell's. If your close to Jamestown I would do it for you. It may cost you a cup of coffee. :)

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...custom-brass-muzzle-crowning-lap-prod855.aspx

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wipe mine down after every use, clean the bore after deer season with hoppes #9, and spray and wipe with Rem oil. I do this every 6 months to a year if the gun hasn't been used much.

I disassemble my handguns yearly and re-oil them. same with shotguns.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thanks Ghost.
I was going to see if I could trade and get a model 73 in 44-40 or just break down and buy a new one (cheaper). The crown I will assume is the end of the barrel. If not tell me. I was under the impression this is where a lot of problems are in the barrel and can come from cleaning using the end of the barrel to go first. With the lever action I will assume this is how it was cleaned a lot.
Not near Jamestown but the offer means a lot to me and I will purchase one of these.
Out of six bullets I got it to where maybe 4-5 cover by softball at 25 yards but at least one was 12 inches somewhere else. Some of that is me but not that much.
When I bought some bullets (32-20) the guy selling said not to use bullets made for older rifles and I needed to shoot only black powder which I did get. But what a mess to clean. Do you feel I could use shells with a lower load meant for older guns? Hate to hurt the barrel but hopefully not hurt me. Serial number is made 1889.
Have a 93 Marlin lever in 30-30 made in (need to look up first will get back) 1905. Guy told me barrel was 50%. Use bullets from shelf and it shoots decent. db

- - - Updated - - -

Getting off the purpose of this thread but did look up crowning and there is maybe more to this than taking a drill and going to it. Any advice for me? db

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
It depends on the depth of the dings. I would not do anything that altered the value of the rifle. I do recrown some of my own rifles, but nothing built back in the pre 1900's. Altering it can ruin the value.
If the dings are small they can still throw you off a half foot or more at 25 yards. The good thing is if the dings are small they can be lapped out without changing the crown profile or the value of the rifle. I have lapped a half dozen of my rifles. I drop a cleaning rod down the bore and use that to level the rifle straight up, then use a cordless drill with a built in level for drilling straight down. I coat the lap tool with 800 grit garnet which is not real aggressive. I pull the cleaning rod and stuff the bore with cotton. Thirty seconds and I wipe the bore clean, pull the cotton plug, and reblue or rebrown the barrel. This method will lap .003 to .005 inch and leave little to no visible change in the crown profile. You will notice the dings are gone.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have had good luck with wiping them down and storing in silicon sleeves. Pretty inexpensive and seem to prevent rust for me.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
A rechargeable dehumidifier like this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H0XFCS/?tag=nodakangler10-20 in your gun safe will help a lot with humidity.
Also after hunting or before storage wipe to get rid of finger hand oils, give a misting of rem oil, and run a pad of hoppes 9 through the barrel.
Thats what I do along with a regular through cleaning on my guns that get used.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67