Stupid question on reloading powder

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok, so I haven't had to reload for my 7mm in about 4 years and have the need to put a few more rounds together.

The last time I loaded this round, 120 gr TSX with 64.04 grains of RL-22, I had to set my powder dispenser to 61.5 grains to deliver the desired charge. So I went right to 61.5 grains on the powder dispenser (Redding brand) and poured in the remaining powder I had from the last batch (powder is now 4 yrs old). Lo and behold, I only get 59.88 grains of powder on average over a 10 pull run.

What gives? Has the powder absorbed some moisture from sitting in cold storage and now needs to be disposed of via some other pyrotechnics? because it has swollen some 6-7%?

For what it's worth, I only have about 40 rounds of powder in this old container before I bust open a new one, so if it's garbage I ain't out that much.

Note, I really like the reproducibility of this powder dispenser, so that's not what is in question. It has been very dependable and reproducible.

Note II, the powder now has a distinctly gray and charcoal coloration to it now. I don't recall it being non-uniform the last time around.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think you should dump it and sight in a new batch because the old stuff will probably group better than your wildest dreams. I think you answered your own question Marine and your time is growing short for a bench session. IMHO/E with shi'ite.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, this is really more of a WTF happened here question than anything else. The more I meditated on this, the less I am inclined to use it. I'll just crack a new jug tomorrow.

I got started on this as a way of getting rid of just 7 rounds of 140 grain TSX that I still had laying around for adding to some other misc rounds I have for fun time at the range and ran across this issue. It's kind of fun at times to shoot a series of different rounds to see how the ol' girl reacts to each. This would give me 3 different loads to shoot before I am down to nothing but the new stuff. The new being 120 gr TTSX.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would say the dis-coloration is due to nitro leaching, I'm bored and now going on UTube about this.

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
download

This is a pan of the RL-22 in question.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Climate controlled storage? By Climate Controlled I mean both heat and humidity.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I couldn't find anything worth a eff to the thread. I tried hard.

I still believe the discoloration is due to nitro leaching.

Last edited:

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
You would have to chrony a test load to know anything right?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Climate controlled storage? By Climate Controlled I mean both heat and humidity.

Negative. Stored in shop which ranges in temps from 90 degrees in the summer to 45 degrees in the winter. Usually I tape the lid with electrical tape to minimize diffusion of moisture into the container of things I want to seal up, but this one was stored without the tape.

- - - Updated - - -

You would have to chrony a test load to know anything right?

That would be my guess as well. If I set the powder dispenser to what it was previously set at and it comes in under, it is clearly expansion caused by moisture, I think. But if I went with weight, it's possible to go over what is the max load by a fair amount if it's something else. That part also confuses me, I'd have thought it would retain near the correct volume, and simply have gained weight due to moisture if it were moisture contaminated. Many chems do this.

So...I think I will save it and use it to "sparkle" up an otherwise ordinary evening

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member

That's a hard order for nitro over time.

Keep a pet deer rifle with maximum "preferred" rds through the pet bbl and an ample stock of your favorite load.

If you're a factory lesbian, seek the same lot number and hope the powder received the same treatment from the factory to your chamber as broken cylinders have different burn rates.

That may be the key to this thread: The freaking KEY Allen!!

- - - Updated - - -

Probably along with storage environment per Horsey...

Whatever: Rock and roll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jt64KI6EOc

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Allen first off I would dump some new powder in that measure and with the same setting see what powder weight it dumps.

Does the powder smell more like an acrid than ether?

You can tell if a can of powder is good or bad by giving its contents a sniff test. If the smell ranges from no detectable odor to resembling alcohol, ether or acetone (from its solvent content), it is okay. If you get a terribly unpleasant, acidic odor that fries your nasal passages, extreme deterioration has taken place. The odor is difficult to describe, but my nose says the experience is quite a bit like taking a strong whiff of the fumes produced by muriatic acid.

Read more: http://www.rifleshootermag.com/reloading/how-to-determine-gunpowder-shelf-life/#ixzz4OO1Pducj

Last edited:

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your 7mm shoots 120's well? I had to work my butt off to get my 7mm to shoot well. It doesn't shoot anything under 160's worth a crap. I did find my best load. It's a 160 Nosler Accubond with 59.5 grains of Reloader 19 and Fed match grade primers. It also was very touchy to the amount of freebore and how I resized the brass. It was a touchy SOB.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
120's in a 7mm mag must really scream like fricken laser beams.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks PG, I haven't given it the sniff test but will later today.

Sub, yeah...my 7 is in a Remington model 700 platform. And it does indeed shoot them well, at least well enough for me as I know how subjective that expression can be. With no wind and a cheap rest, I have shot about an inch and a half group at 100 yds. About the only rounds that I've ever noticed a huge difference in were some Winchester Power Points I tried quite a few years ago. Those things shot consistently 4 inches to the right and about the same high when compared to other rounds. I still don't understand the to the right part of that one. Seems like as long as I stay about 0.1 off the lands that this rifle is pretty forgiving and if I get closer than that the bolt's been a little sticky to open at times. That's made a bigger difference than just about anything other than the PP rounds.

Enslow, yeah...according to the reload specs of Barnes they should coast along at near 3,100 ft/s at even the minimum powder load and be around 3,400 ft/s at the max. I tend to stay a little below the max and haven't chronographed it though. Barnes is now also making a 110 gr TTSX for the 0.284 offerings with claims of around 3,550 ft/s at the max loads for a good variety of powders. The SD and ballistic coefficients on that round are pretty crappy and make me less inclined to go after more speed.

All this kind of confirms my choice to load a bunch when I find a set load/bullet combo that performs decently.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Allen I was reloading 75 gr bullets for my AR 223 today. I use AA2520 and when I finished an old bottle I filled my RCBS measure dumped five loads back into the can then dumped one to weigh. It was .8 gr heavy. I will have to chronograph and see the difference between the bulky load and the dense load. They sure didn't smell any different.

I have been shooting this load for a couple of years. It was at max two years ago, then one grain over max in the new book last year. Still, there are no pressure signs at all. The old loads are 2850 fps.

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd get some new powder myself.
I used to play around allot with RL 22 and 120-140 in my 7mm until I bought my 7 STW years ago.
Just started shooting Retumbo pushing a 160 accubond, man does she like that!
This was my first group at 200 yards the other day. :;:cheers

stw 200 yds.jpg

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd get some new powder myself.
I used to play around allot with RL 22 and 120-140 in my 7mm until I bought my 7 STW years ago.
Just started shooting Retumbo pushing a 160 accubond, man does she like that!
This was my first group at 200 yards the other day. :;:cheers

IMG_0877.JPG

Holy crap, you have a finger the size of a tree trunk! Damn if that ain't a nice 3 shot grouping.

- - - Updated - - -

Well crap, time for me to issue a mea culpa, confession of dumb, admission of stupid, whatever you want to call it. Damnit, I almost made it to November this year without a mistake.

Turns out the powder is just fine, I didn't set the powder dispenser correctly (if you know Redding, their dial for powder is a bit of a mind titty sprinkle). Once I finally relearned how to set the powder dispenser, I got within 0.03 grains of powder from my records on average over a set of 10 pulls. I'll take that, especially when I did it again.

As far as the coloration thing, I opened a new jug of powder and it has the same light gray and charcoal gray mixture. I guess being a few years since I used RL-22 I just don't remember (or ever noted) the odd coloration.

Good grief...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73