Friday Morning Hunt

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not a bad day, my cousin's were up hunting so I took a morning to go out with them, geese are pretty scarce, but the ducks and cranes were very abundant! Geese were really flying over the house this morning though!
2016 cranes.jpg2016 Ducks.jpg

Bri-guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nice work! What part of the state? I'm hoping to find some cranes later this week. Been a long time since I've had ribeye from the sky!

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have shot a quite a few this fall, but they seem to show up and then leave again. We were north of Westhope; most land is posted but pretty easy access. Fields are pretty wet and with the rain we are getting today it may be ATV only getting decoys out! There are thousands of cranes in the area now.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes. I've heard it said. But, always wondered if it was sarcasm or not. My dad shot a few in the late 80s and/early 90s and I can only assume I ate them. But, can't remember nothing bout them.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Crane is by looks and taste closer to beef then goose so long as they are eating grain. had some that were heavy into eating frogs and they tasted like shit! that a sexy looking pile of birds with all the full plum Greenheads. been seeing far more cranes the last week then I've seen in years in my area but they are jumpy as hell and will fly if a truck gets within a mile from them.

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wish we would have paid more attention to the proclamation, I wasn't sure if we could shoot 1 or 2 pintails each so once we had 3 on the ground we quit shooting at them and we had some dandy drakes land in the decoys! The one pintail is getting mounted he was about as nice as I have seen shot and minimal damage.

Rick Tischaefer

Well sure enough. I trust he's doing well and things are all okay back home? I bet he had a great time with that fowl-fest, and probably glad when all the cleaning was over with too. Days like that make for great memories and things to reflect upon during the long drive back home. It's very safe to say we're all older and grayer now-a-days. :)

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
He has had a rough month, his girlfriend passed unexpectedly in her sleep about three weeks ago. But seems to be doing real good considering.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77